Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need expert advice

Posted by ifrisbie 
Need expert advice
August 28, 2015 04:15PM
I've run the various test prints with mixed results but everything seemed fair - although a little sloppy in places.

I tried to print what seemed to be both a good test print and useful part for me: [www.thingiverse.com]

This is a fan mount printing in the center of my bed. I've attached some pictures but I have the following visible issues:

1. On the back (not cut-out) side the model seems to slant slightly inward but my print goes almost straight up and maybe even slants slightly in the opposite direction.
2. The negative Y-axis direction (towards home position) has the mounting lip and I noticed during the print it was really sloppy like it was pushing the plastic around.
3. Down where the fan mount is the nut protrusions are visibly slanted (just above the print-bed layers)
4. The hex cut-outs for the screws don't come close to looking hex shaped
5. None of the holes have an area where you can see light through - significant drilling required.

I realized too late that the part was made for a different sized carriage (my carriage has the mounting bolts separated by 40mm whereas this print was 20mm) - so it isn't use enough to use. When I print again I'd like to make some improvements.

Anyone have suggestions on what might be causing some of the issues I mentioned? Anyone know of a fan mount model that would work for me where the bolt separation is 40mm?

Sorry for the pics - best I could do with the crappy camera on hand.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments:
open | download - fan_mount_looking_up_mount_lip.JPG (207.8 KB)
open | download - fan_mount_topview.JPG (284.8 KB)
open | download - fan_mount_side_view.JPG (291.3 KB)
open | download - fan_mount_top_angle_view.JPG (384.1 KB)
Re: Need expert advice
August 29, 2015 02:59AM
Not that much of an expert (but working on it). Not bad for a first try thumbs up
Leaning print is usual a slipping pulley or print bed. Also think you might be running too hot and too rich (over extrusion), Calibrate you extrusion width and print temperature, this has to be done for every new roll of filament you use. Incorrect shapes can be the slipping pulley but too low belt tension is more common.

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 03:00AM by SlowFoot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login