Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

anymore improvements on quality and speed can I get out of my setup?

Posted by deaconfrost 
anymore improvements on quality and speed can I get out of my setup?
August 27, 2015 01:24PM
as title says, could any expert tell me is there anymore improvements on quality and speed can I get out of my setup?

this head is printed with 0.1mm first layer 0.2mm, the body was printed with 0.2mm all layers, the stand was printed at 0.35mm layers

rest of the settings

print speed 40mm/s
travel 150mm/s
first layer 20mm/s
outer perimeter 15mm/s
inner Perimeter 40mm/s
infill 40mm/s overlap 15%
skin fill 20mm/s
retraction speed 40mm/s
retraction distance 2mm
minimum travel 1.5mm
minimum extrusion 0.02mm

the stand is printed with PET

if I go any higher than 40mm/s my extruder stepper clicks, I have a NEMA 17 42mm x 48mm, and upped the current already, but barely even get warm on the motor due to its size

any input anyone

thanks

Forgot the info of the setup

its Folger Tech Prusa i3
replaced Mega board and ramp board
replace hotend with E3D v6 converted to bowden
replaced bed with MK3 Aluminium
Replace Extruder stepper with NEMA 17 42mm x 48mm
Auto Bed lelvel setup with Marlin 1.1 configured from scratch

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 01:30PM by deaconfrost.
Re: anymore improvements on quality and speed can I get out of my setup?
August 27, 2015 03:44PM
Hello, for increasing the speed I would suggest buying a 5:1 geared stepper and finding a durable extruder design which you could print out. Then get some hardware like an MK8 filament gear and put it together. That will handle speeds above 50mm/s for sure. For the extruder design, there is a billion on forums, thingiverse... That will be your task to find one that will fit your desires. Actually if you want to stay with an ungeared stepper for the extruder (what I do not recommend) you can also find some great designs with printed gears.
August 27, 2015 04:00PM
thanks for the info, I go browse around for a better extruder design, I just put in the new stepper, upped the current from old motor setting, not really sure if it is running what it should, it doesn't even feel warm to touch most of the time, I might doule check on that before I look in to another motor
August 27, 2015 04:37PM
For the current thing, please let me know what stepper drivers are you using. So that I will be able to tell you how to set the current properly, if you want to. Setting up the current limiting is really important, if too less amps, you will skip steps at fast moves and if too much, the stepper could overheat or make really bad resonance frequencies.
August 28, 2015 01:50AM
What about your stepper drivers?
The extruder will sure love a "decay hacked" DRV8825.
Smoother running at slow speed and microsteps with more power will keep it from skipping.

Also your z-axis seems to have some hiccups according to the pictures. Check for binding smooth rods/ worn out bearings or too tight x-belt.
-Olaf
August 28, 2015 01:45PM
I'm using A4988 Stepper Driver

yea one of my z threaded rod keeps getting a bit of click, replaced them both, was fine for a week, than started again, I am looking at upgrading all axis to lead-screw setup, the smooth rods are good while I had them out while changing the threaded rods

would it be the stepper driver issue, I have a spare one I could try out, it just started clicking now in the middle of a print, was good for 2 days but at only 40mm/s max, it is a bit too slow for a E3D v6 hotend with 0.4mm nozzle
August 29, 2015 02:43AM
I have a direct drive extruder with a 0.4A stepper and I´m able to extrude at 100mm/s printspeed without skipping.
Are you sure about the shunt resistors on your drivers being 0.1 Ohm ( R100 )?
If they read R200, then Vref calculation is off by 100% ( half the current )

The a4988 is also hackable. See the pics in this german thread
It´s about replacing "R4" by a solder bridge or 0-Ohm resistor.
-Olaf
August 29, 2015 08:57PM
I will have a look in to the stepper driver tomorrow. Strangly lowered the temp and the problem went. Didn't think I was running hot. 240c on abs. The pla are rated at 190c to 215c and it's running smooth on 190c. A while back I couldn't run it at those temp. I figured it when I retract the filament to check the hotend the pla was swelling a bit.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 09:01PM by deaconfrost.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login