Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fail, fail, fail.... and so it goes... :-/

Posted by KillerDave 
Fail, fail, fail.... and so it goes... :-/
August 21, 2015 04:23PM
Ok... I am getting so many failed prints it's becoming ridiculous!

Last night, after 1 1/2 hours into a large print, it just stopped! When I tried to do anything through Pronterface, there is no response and I get and Error message.....

(SerialException):
WriteFile failed
([Error 5] Access is denied.)
[ERROR] Can't write ti printer
(disconnected?)

It does this 4 time and then just sits there cooking a puddle of plastic!

I was running the printer from an XP powered laptop and then (with this issue) I swapped in a windows 7 PC....

Has anyone seen this and know a cure???

Right now, it's about an hour in, printing from the SD card....

Lets see if that works???
Re: Fail, fail, fail.... and so it goes... :-/
August 21, 2015 04:24PM
.... Well.... That WAS going well until all of the support fell off the bed!

And it was probably the best quality print so far! Bugger!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2015 08:03PM by KillerDave.
August 21, 2015 09:50PM
These errors in relation to the connection usually have two possible causes:
a) wrong baud rate set - Although "standard" is 250000 Windows does not offer this by default, it works sort of, better to use baud settings that match in the firmware and Windows.
b) Power problems - A loose connection will cause the power for the board to partially go through the USB connection. The controller can't handle it and shuts off.
August 22, 2015 04:11AM
Hi Downunder35m,

Thanks for your reply....

I don't think it even connects if I use the wrong baud rate??? It's set to 115200 in both Pronterface and in the firmware....
When it's finnished this print, I'll go over all of the connections but as it's running well from the SD card, I'm sure all of the wiring is ok.... but I'll check....

Right now it's at just over 8hrs with maybe an hour to go.....
August 22, 2015 10:30PM
I would suggest:

1) Powered USB Hub
2) Make sure that the computer doesn't have any "sleep after XX minutes set" and no automatic screen timeout.

I witnessed my printer stall right when the screen saver come on and it kinda startled me I was like what the heck...
August 22, 2015 10:31PM
Definitely for long prints SD card is the way to go. But I've noticed it doesn't behave the same when running from Repetier Host as it does when running from SD card... it prints smoother from Host.
September 17, 2015 05:08PM
Just saw this thread, as I have been getting similar problems after switching to Windows 7. My setup that has worked for several months before the switch was desktop connected to a monitor which contains a usb hub, and then this hub connected to the printer. Yesterday, this failed multiple times a few minutes after starting a print, but I got one complete hour long print with the USB connected directly to the destop. I'm speculating right now that it could be the power saving setting for USB hubs and ports in Windows 7, similar to what is described here (http://superuser.com/questions/749982/prevent-windows-7-from-enabling-power-saving-on-usb-3-0-hub). I haven't had time to test this yet - will try to remember to post an update if it helps.

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login