Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ripples at specific regions

Posted by cpbee 
Ripples at specific regions
August 20, 2015 01:09AM
Hi everyone,

maybe this has already bee asked - but I cannot find the answer to my specific printing problem.

My printer: Ormerod 2

The problem: Ripples at a specific X-axis region.

As you can see from the attached picture. it seems like the ripple occurs at a very specfic X-Axis position (there is a linear area across the y-Axis). If I print multiple objects side by side the ripple always occurs at the same position on all objects.

I tried to decrease print speed and/or movements. Played with the temperature.

Since all other areas are not affected I did not change the belt tension. But could it be due to too high belt tension?

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Chris.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20150818_152958_055.jpg (215.1 KB)
Re: Ripples at specific regions
August 20, 2015 12:31PM
What acceleration and jerk settings are you using? Those ripples look like ringing caused by high acceleration values and/or a wobbly frame.
August 20, 2015 01:29PM
Maybe the head moves in an unexpected way when it reaches a damaged portion of the rod carrying the axis?

Did you try to move your X-axis manually? Is it moving smoothly all the way?
August 24, 2015 06:51AM
Hi guys,

it might be a wobbly table ... I noticed that the screws are not 100% attached. Will test that. Thanks
August 28, 2015 09:30PM
Any update? I had this problem trying to print a self-watering planter. I think that the problem was that it retracted on layer change, so then it had a small length where no filament was being extruded, and then it slowly returned to normal extrusion amount after ~5mm. Maybe "wipe while retracting" also includes the un-retract (slic3r)?

Master Tinkerer
September 27, 2015 10:26AM
Any update, i have the exact same issue with my i3, using Slic3r.
September 27, 2015 02:40PM
I had the same problem with my i3 too. I did the following:
- Bearings replaced, bought 10 LM8UU and picked the tightest fitting. Use lithium grease/general purpose bearing grease, don't use oil based lubricant.
- Replaced the wood y carriage with an aluminium one and the problem went away.
- Make sure all screws are tight and if you use springs (I've removed them as I'm using auto bed leveling) make sure they are very strong springs as any abrupt back and forth motion can translate into up/down motion on the z axis.
- If you've got a 3 point leveling system it's even worse as the single point on one side works like a hinge which allows the bed to wobble. Use springs with the shortest possible screws and make them very tight.
- Adjust acceleration Amax x and y and/or Vxy-jerk.
September 27, 2015 04:26PM
Thanks, i'll give those suggestions a try and let ya know if it worked smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login