Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bad print - inaccurate X/Y movements?

Posted by MossMan 
Bad print - inaccurate X/Y movements?
August 13, 2015 04:19PM
Hi,

I am in the process of starting up a used Rigidbot I recently got - so far my first few prints have been pretty bad. Some of the fixes look relatively easy such as adjusting the speed, temperature, layer height, etc. One issue that concerns me is that the printer does not seem to be accurately moving to the correct positions - the layers gradually shift, a circular shape isn't perfectly circular - it looks like it got nudged while printing, etc.

Should I be concerned about something physically wrong with the motors, rails, etc? I'm hoping this is a simple calibration or tweaking of software settings. I'm very new to this, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I have not gone through a full system calibration - I was hoping that since it was used, most of that had already been done so I wanted to print some pieces to get a baseline.

I've attached pictures below. I'm using PLA (at least I think it's PLA - no markings, just included with printer), using Repetier Host, temperature is 185, layer height is .25mm. If there's other key settings you need, please let me know.

Notes:
Shark: red arrows show where it attempted to fill in the bottom layer, but I think it wasn't moving accurately so it missed areas. blue arrow shows a random "bump" along the fin which doesn't exist in STL or sliced data. green arrow shows how the layers don't seem to be vertically aligned properly. I aborted this print after just a couple layers.

Circle - red arrow shows all the interior circles were very badly shaped. blue arrow shows random bump along exterior that doesn't exist in STL or sliced data.

Does anything obvious jump out from those pictures for something that needs to be calibrated/adjusted? Thanks!
Attachments:
open | download - bad-shark2.jpg (519.5 KB)
open | download - bad-circle2.jpg (312.3 KB)
open | download - circle-example.png (13.8 KB)
open | download - Mini-Mr-Shark-Example.png (14.9 KB)
Re: Bad print - inaccurate X/Y movements?
August 14, 2015 12:16PM
The oval shape is typical for too low belt tension or a lose pulley, but I'm sure it can be other things too, teeth missing on a belt for instance.

Cheers!

Edit typo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 12:18PM by SlowFoot.
Re: Bad print - inaccurate X/Y movements?
August 14, 2015 12:52PM
Thanks, I'll definitely check those out. Is there any objective way to know when belt tension is correct? Or is it just trial and error?

I think I also saw a reference to possibly having to adjust the pots on the motors?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login