Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Emergency Shutdown / Smoky heatbed

Posted by Hbomb911 
Emergency Shutdown / Smoky heatbed
August 04, 2015 01:53PM

Hello fellow rep rappers.

Love the rep rap project. I built an ormerod 2 and it was working really good.

Unfortunately right after I got everything working just right and printing really well, my heatbed connector (+) started smoking.

I had veen running a ceiling fan and forgot to shut it off. Pretty sure the bed was trying to maintain the temp so too much current was trying to go through it. Didnt fry the wire but did leave a small burn mark in the board. Wire us still in tact but it shutdown and disconnected.

Let it cool off and trued to reboot it but windiws was saying the usb port had malfunctioned. So trying to debug that issue and might have that resolved.

The questions I have are:
Did I fry my heatbed?
How do I recover when the duet does an emergency shutdown?
Can I multimeter the bed to see if its still working?

The board still powers on but I havent conbected just yet.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank u
Re: Emergency Shutdown / Smoky heatbed
August 04, 2015 02:29PM
There is a known problem with the screw connections to the heat bed on early Ormerod 2s. In later ones, RepRapPro switched to spade terminals. So if yours has the screw terminals and can't be recovered, I suggest you ask RepRapPro for a replacement heat bed and cable under warranty. The Duet is probably OK, so I suggest you disconnect the heated bed at the Duet, then power up and try to communicate with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 02:29PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 04, 2015 04:10PM
Thank you for the quick response.

My bed does indeed have screw terminals so I'll also contact the Rep and see if they can get me a replacement board.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help.
August 04, 2015 04:50PM
btw there is a separate Ormerod forum here - best to use that next time you have an Ormerod-specific issue. You will find at least on thread on that bed connection issue there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 04:50PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login