Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing stops after first layer, thinks its still printing.

Posted by geodude 
Printing stops after first layer, thinks its still printing.
July 13, 2015 02:21PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the 3D printing world and am loving it so far!

I have built my P3Steel out of a kit from Kitprinter3D and am very pleased with it so far - even without having actually printed anything yet. I'm hoping someone can help me with that!

I had a few issues which were resolved by replacing all electronics (my fault entirely) and replacing a printed part.

I am now at a stage where i feel i should be able to print.

I'm using the RAMPS 1.4 arduino setup with marlin firmware. DV8825 drivers with ED3 v6 hotend. Everything seems absolutely fine.

I can now extrude plastic perfectly everytime without issues - which is awesome!

Now, the issue is - when i start to print it usually starts perfectly even nearly finishing a first layer. It then seems to spontaneously cut out (or at least stop printing) but looking at the screen i'm assuming it thinks it is still printing as all the coordinates keep changing. As soon as it cuts out there is a funny noise coming from (i believe) the stepper motors ( High pitch sounds rolling down in tone ) quite beautiful - but not what i want when printing. I have a feeling it could be there is not enough current going to the stepper motors, or too much - but was wondering if anyone has had this issue and solved it - or potentially knows what the solution is.

I change the potentiometers on each driver so they were perfect ( according to the reprap wiki ) by lowering until it cant move and then increasing it a bit until it moves again.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Here is a link to a video of it happening - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGP-zswJE4c - excuse my excitement and then disappointment! grinning smiley

Cheers,
George
Re: Printing stops after first layer, thinks its still printing.
July 14, 2015 04:34AM
Just an update on background -

I'm using Printrun Feb 15 version as my interface ( i've also tried the older version ) and i'm using Slic3r with it ( and have also tried two version )

When i'm connected to the interface everything runs perfectly - X Y and Z are moving fine, homing is working fine and extruding is working fine - this is why i'm so shocked when it randomly cuts out.

Am i right in thinking if it runs perfectly in the interface - that it must be a problem with the Gcode that Slic3r is creating?

Cheers,
G
July 14, 2015 08:20PM
You can read the G-code file and see if your slicer is telling it to extrude... or not...
here's a line from one of mine
"
G1 X201.28 Y224.81 E0.0446
"
G1- feed/extrude straight line>> move to X... Y...
E - Extrude 0.0446 of material. (E just happens to be the letter)

but... from the sounds of it. more than likely its an issue with the stepper driver/stepper motor for your extruder... &/or a loose wire etc... Check the connections would be my bet.
July 15, 2015 06:38AM
Your drivers probably shut down from overheating?

Measure Vref on the drivers. The method you described to "adjust" the current is pretty inaccurate.
The potmeter only has a small window where the current is OK.
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login