Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pitting when printing with ABS

Posted by Jc61990 
Pitting when printing with ABS
July 06, 2015 10:18PM
I seem to get this ugly pitting on my prints when using ABS. Ive experiemented with temperatures and speeds, anyone have any tips to get rid of this?

Re: Pitting when printing with ABS
July 06, 2015 10:36PM
Does it crackle/pop while printing?
July 07, 2015 12:45AM
It does not
July 07, 2015 01:19AM
Well I am a liar. I'm printing something out now, and there is an occasional snap/pop noise, but it is not very frequent.
July 07, 2015 04:25AM
Jc61990
Well I am a liar. I'm printing something out now, and there is an occasional snap/pop noise, but it is not very frequent.

Your ABS might have gathered some water then. Time to put it in an oven for a few hours at low temp, to dry it out.

You can spool off a few meters and dry that, before you do the whole spool.
Then see, if the results get better.
-Olaf
July 09, 2015 07:38AM
ABS does this too?

I thought only PLA is like that.
July 09, 2015 04:47PM
i only print with ABS, and I think it may be that there is moisture in the filament. I changed the spool out to another color and the pitting went away
July 09, 2015 06:53PM
ABS can absorb moisture it's just that PLA is way more susceptible to it.
August 01, 2015 12:03AM
So I finally got around to shoving my filament in the warmer drawer of my oven for an hour. My prints look MUCH better! But theres now this nasty overhang where the prints start and stop.

August 01, 2015 09:38PM
Running the same settings from before you dried the filament?
August 01, 2015 11:09PM
The excess extrusion were it changes layer can be helped with retraction. Start with a retraction of 2mm and go from there.
August 04, 2015 04:06PM
This actually goes to show you that rounded corners are superior to square ones, and if you were designing parts for printing (not just test cubes), you might consider how the printer has to basically stop, change direction, and start again, while the nozzle is still oozing. This is where retraction helps. But there is another setting, "Minimum distance before retraction" that you need to play with if you're printing a bunch of square things.

For me, when I am creating parts, I make it a point to use fillets everywhere I can, you will be surprised how much faster it is and cleaner. Even a small fillet to round a corner is better than a square corner...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login