Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting blobs on my print

Posted by fabioh 
Getting blobs on my print
July 06, 2015 05:21PM
My first layer is beautiful however once its starts with the infill, the plastic seems to group together and create blobs on the print. I am printing with PLA and using Slicer on Repetier to generate G. I have attached a couple of images of my prints.

Things I am constantly modifying:

Temperature adjustment (210+-15)
Cleaned out the nozzle thoroughly
Adjusted first layer height
Fan speed adjustment
Print speed
Calibrate motors using M92
Lubricate moving components
Bed leveling
-------------------------------------------------------
Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
F
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_3210.jpg (358.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_3211 copy.jpg (262.7 KB)
Re: Getting blobs on my print
July 06, 2015 06:52PM
It looks like the second layer is printing too high, so the plastic isn't getting smooshed down into the first layer. Try commanding the printer to move up 10mm and measure how much it actually moved.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
July 14, 2015 05:07PM
That was one of the first things I did and it does move 10 mm. I even tried increasing the M92 Z value to move more than it should because as I am watching it print, its seems like the perimeter of the nozzle is in contact with the print itself once its starts with the infill which causes unwanted grouping of plastic. I have attached a picture of the print for clarification (don't mind the hole). I stopped the print halfway into its first infill stage so you could see the difference between the first layer and the infill.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 05:08PM by fabioh.
Attachments:
open | download - print prob.jpg (438.8 KB)
July 14, 2015 06:10PM
Could it be over extrusion? The first layer can be fine if you used higher than normal z offset, which should be about the thickness of normal copier paper, about 0.1mm. The next layer is with correct z distance. So get the first layer to look the same as second layer by adjusting z offset in case of auto bed leveling or the bed height or z endstop, then adjust extrusion multiplier down quite a bit in slicer until it smoorhs out nicely. If you want to go scientific you can print a single wall object, use a digital caliper and adjust according the ratio of expected extrusion width by looking at the header in the gcode, with the measured wall width and adjust extrusion multiplier by this ratio.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login