Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with my extruder motor

Posted by CyBer 
Problem with my extruder motor
June 26, 2015 02:53PM
Hey guys, I recently upgraded from a folgertech mk7 to a E3D and a Greg's accessible extruder. I am reusing the mk7 36oz/in motor with this new setup and it extrudes the filament at first, but after a few minutes through the print the motor stops turning and I can easily spin the gear that is attached to the motor. I was wondering what you guys think the problem is. Is the motor getting too hot? Do I need to buy a better motor? I have tested this a few times and the same thing happens. The motor works for a few minutes and a few layers in it stops extruding filament.
Thanks for your help!
Re: Problem with my extruder motor
June 26, 2015 04:00PM
Driver overheating perhaps?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 26, 2015 04:47PM
I don't have problems with overheating on the other drivers, how would I test or fix this if it is the driver overheating?
June 26, 2015 05:01PM
CyBer
I don't have problems with overheating on the other drivers, how would I test or fix this if it is the driver overheating?

Simplest way is to see if the extruder stepper driver chip is too hot to touch.

Another possibility is that you have an intermittant driver module. You can check that by swapping the extruder driver module with one of the others. Always power the machine off before messing with drivers or motor wiring.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 01, 2015 06:32PM
Sorry it took so long to respond, I've been busy. Well I have a fan going right next to stepper chip heat sink and they are cool to the touch and the motor still is stopping a few minutes after the print starts. This makes me think that I need a motor with more torque for my extruder. Anyone have thoughts on this?
July 01, 2015 06:35PM
Wow, do I feel stupid. Its always the simple things, am I right? I looked more closely at what the motor is doing and I saw that the motor is turning and the gear wasn't. The grub screw was loose. Thanks for the help guys!
January 25, 2016 07:33PM
hmm... i was looking around and saw that the driver chips get warm up after some use, after some use i found that while the other chips are warm. but the extrudes one (E axis driver chip) was a lot cooler them the others
EDITyawning smileyops wrong one, i wanted to put this somewhere else. SORRY!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 07:37PM by adexin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login