Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how to print with 3i sd card?

Posted by sasabs 
how to print with 3i sd card?
June 25, 2015 08:40PM
I have just finished building my purse 3i from a kit and am attempting to print from sd card. I don't have any idea what firmware is installed. I need instructions. The manufacturer offers no support.

I set a nozzle temperature and then select a Gcode file (printer won't accept x3g file). When the nozzle temperature is reached instead of starting to print get either a "sleeping" message on the display or a "waiting for user". How do I command printing to begin?

How do I load operating parameters for the build since it won't accept x3g from my simplify3d software.

I would really appreciate it if someone cold provide a link to a manual.
Re: how to print with 3i sd card?
June 25, 2015 11:02PM
What kit did you buy?
June 26, 2015 08:37AM
I bought a Sunhokey Prusa 3i kit, straight from China
June 26, 2015 09:58AM
You need to save your file in a .gcode format from what im reading.
Im not too sure about the china made printers personally.

And FYI its i3 not 3i...
June 29, 2015 10:31AM
Are you using a slicer of some sort? Your model file, whatever program made it, needs to be exported as an STL file. Your slicer takes this file, and converts it into the actual moves your printer makes, all while taking into account the settings that you also set in the slicer. I would NOT recommend using a code file straight of the internet, as your bed size, filament diameter, and tons of other stuff (almost everything you set in the slicer) may be totally different and could literally burn down your printer (in extreme cases tongue sticking out smiley)
As for firmware, there is no way to "extract" the firmware already on the control board, so this means you will need to: A: find a preconfigured copy from your manufacturer, or find one from another manufacturer who's printer uses identical parts (bed size, nozzle type). The B option is to get a blank copy or Marlin (pretty common, but there are others, like sprinter), and go through all the settings and set them yourself. I must warn you though, if you're at all unsure of what something does in the firmware, don't hesitate to google it. My firmware was semi-preconfigured, so I just downloaded the Arduino files, changed it as necessary to match the basic functionality of the printer kit, and uploaded it to the board.
This reminds me; what control board came with the kit? If its a ramps, then Marlin will work, but if you got something like Rambo, Melzi, or gen6, you will need to do a little bit of research to figure out how to upload a firmware file, and what firmware will work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2015 10:32AM by Montiey.

Master Tinkerer
August 04, 2015 03:22PM
The Sunhokey Prusa i3 uses Marlin 1.1

Before using the SD card, get it printing using an attached PC, to 'break it in'.
Once you are happy it's printing correctly, use the SD.

I would be happy if my Sunhokey would read the SD they shipped. I just get 'no SD', so while the machine works fine, tethered, I'm buggered with longer prints
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login