Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Messy print of fine details. Is this normal?

Posted by stevemeetswest 
Messy print of fine details. Is this normal?
June 20, 2015 07:59AM
Hi there,

I am relatively new to 3d printing and I am starting to try smaller prints with details. I am noticing that when it comes to very small details (1-3mm) it gets quite messy when printing. Not sure if this is normal.

I am using a .3mm nozzle and .2mm print height. I am using ABS.

I have attached a pic of my print which is about 2.5 inches tall - and it shows details seem ok towards the bottom but as you go towards the top it becomes more and more 'blob' like in definition

When I was watching the print it seems like towards the top it was just pushing a small amount of liquid ABS around without any real definition/detail possible. I am not sure if what the pic shows it to be expected or if it is possible to get even more definition than I have now with a smaller nozzle and/or print height.

Is there an adjustment or setting I should change to get better definition when printing areas that are only a 3-8mm in size?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20150614_174553968.jpg (110 KB)
Re: Messy print of fine details. Is this normal?
June 20, 2015 09:59AM
You have to reduce your hot end temp when reaching smaller pieces unless there are more than 1, then that might be okay
June 20, 2015 10:23AM
It is a temperature problem.
In your slicer you can set a minimum layertime, this way the previous printed layer can cool off before printing the next layer.
June 20, 2015 09:21PM
gforce1
It is a temperature problem.
In your slicer you can set a minimum layertime, this way the previous printed layer can cool off before printing the next layer.

great - thanks for the feedback I will give it a shot
June 20, 2015 11:32PM
Do not reduce your hot end temperature to solve this issue. As mentioned it is a temperature problem - or more accurately a cooling issue. PLA takes a few seconds to set after it is extruded, and so if you extrude the next layer immediately on top of one just printed, you will get deformation. You need to provide the time for proper cooling. Most slicers offer some ways of handling this.

As mentioned, most slicers allow you to specify a minimum layer time. If a layer will be less than this time, the slicer will automatically slow things down so that the just-printed layer can solidify before going on to the next layer. Of course the problem with this approach is that the hot end itself remains close to the printed object. Still, it remains one of the better techniques for this issue.

Skeinforge, and perhaps other slicers, offered a cooling strategy called orbit where it would move the hot end away from the printed object and basically move in circles for a few seconds. The problem with this is that your hot end can ooze during this time.

A third technique - and one that's not implemented by the slicer - is to just print multiple objects. Just adding a second object, as part of the same print job, can be a simple way to solve this issue. Usually this problem only happens on small objects anyways, so it's not too wasteful of filament.
June 22, 2015 06:41PM
jbernardis
Do not reduce your hot end temperature to solve this issue. As mentioned it is a temperature problem - or more accurately a cooling issue. PLA takes a few seconds to set after it is extruded, and so if you extrude the next layer immediately on top of one just printed, you will get deformation. You need to provide the time for proper cooling. Most slicers offer some ways of handling this.

As mentioned, most slicers allow you to specify a minimum layer time. If a layer will be less than this time, the slicer will automatically slow things down so that the just-printed layer can solidify before going on to the next layer. Of course the problem with this approach is that the hot end itself remains close to the printed object. Still, it remains one of the better techniques for this issue.

Skeinforge, and perhaps other slicers, offered a cooling strategy called orbit where it would move the hot end away from the printed object and basically move in circles for a few seconds. The problem with this is that your hot end can ooze during this time.

A third technique - and one that's not implemented by the slicer - is to just print multiple objects. Just adding a second object, as part of the same print job, can be a simple way to solve this issue. Usually this problem only happens on small objects anyways, so it's not too wasteful of filament.

Thanks very much for these tips. The x2 approach makes sense. Going to give it a shot tonight.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login