Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X Y Z calibration on Prusa i3

Posted by Layerz 
X Y Z calibration on Prusa i3
June 15, 2015 02:36PM
First thank you for the help which has helped for to overcome my extrusion issues.

I have run into some issues which seem to be my last few in getting things just where I want them.

I guess I am after a few bits of feedback, the first is if printing a 100 x 100 calibration shape with a 10mm thick walls, how close should the end result be?

I have also run some XYZ prints as in my attachment below, I ran one on the left side of the printer and one of the right.

They should be 1 inch long and .25 thick or as I prefer in mm, 25.4mm and 6.35 mm

My measurements were:

Left:
Length Thickness
X - 25.54 mm 6.75 & 6.5
Y - 25.4 mm 6.77 & 6.62
Z - 26.87 mm 6.5 & 6.45

Right Thickness
X - 25.5 6.5 & 6.4
Y - 25.6 6.5 & 6.49
Z - 26.1 6.5 & 6.4

On the thickness I found the higher number to be on the size sharing the Z axis (I hope I am making sense in my explanation).

Now from this I can see I need to adjust the left side down a bit, but wondering how close to the 25.4mm & 6.35mm measures I should be.
Attachments:
open | download - xyz.jpg (242.3 KB)
Re: X Y Z calibration on Prusa i3
June 15, 2015 04:00PM
Your printer's bed is un-level.
You need to manually make your bed level

Leveling_the_Print_Bed
3D printing guides - Bed leveling

There could also be other problems causing this. Are you sure your X axis is paralel to the bed? i mean, it's not higher on one side than the other?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2015 04:01PM by thetazzbot.
June 15, 2015 05:38PM
I think that's perhaps what I meant with the Z axis that the the X axis runs on.

Bed is levelled ok, if it's out at all its the tiniest of margins, I have the paper just about able to pass under the nozzle at about 12-15 points over the bed I use to check nozzle clearance.

I'll adjust the left x/z height later, but again just want to see how close to sizing I should be on calibration print checks.
June 15, 2015 06:19PM
I don't think your bed's unlevel.

I'd say that your X/Y axes at +/- 0.1mm would be about as good as you could expect.

It does look like your Z axis is out a bit... what layer thickness are you printing? If it's not already 0.1mm, try reducing to that to improve the accuracy of your measurement. If it continues to be too tall, try decreasing the Z steps/mm (e.g. M92 Z1234.56) by a couple of percent.
June 16, 2015 06:37PM
Cool, I think a 2nd fan will help too.

I get curling on overhang layers but other shapes are ok.

Question on the fans, how much difference do people notice here?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login