Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa I3 Print Scale Issue

Posted by Sambone 
Prusa I3 Print Scale Issue
May 26, 2015 09:39PM
I am not sure what is wrong with my Folger Tech Prusa I3 printer I got off of ebay. Looking at the image, it seems that my scaling is off. When I click print, my X, Y, and Z axises all home like normal, except the Z axis. It homes, raises 10 or so millimeters, waits a minute, then homes again. Then my printer moves the head to X max Y max. The Z axis doesn't move. The extruder then starts to feed the filament (1.75mm) faster than it can melt it, binding up the gears and making the annoying gear stripping noise. I click emergency stop, leaving nothing printed. I have had this printer for over 7 months and have not been able to use it. Help would be very appreciated.

Edit: I ran a print of an object a couple inches big, and it printed in less than a minute. I watched the preview of the print on the computer. Each layer took less than a second. It said it was printing but the only motors moving properly were the extruder and the z axis motors with the x and y motors still at max. When it was all done, it homed the x axis and moved to the park position.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 06:53PM by Sambone.
Attachments:
open | download - 3D Printing Object.PNG (12.2 KB)
Re: Prusa I3 Print Scale Issue
May 29, 2015 09:29PM
Sambone
When I click print, my X, Y, and Z axises all home like normal, except the Z axis. It homes, raises 10 or so millimeters, waits a minute, then homes again.

This sounds normal. It looks like you have these defined in configuration_adv.h: (this is from mine; your values are probably different)

//homing hits the endstop, then retracts by this distance, before it tries to slowly bump again:
#define X_HOME_RETRACT_MM 5
#define Y_HOME_RETRACT_MM 5
#define Z_HOME_RETRACT_MM 3

You probably see X and Y "bump" when they home -- hit the endstop, retract, and hit it again more slowly. The up and down Z movement is that bump too, but Z moves more slowly.

(Although if you mean it "waits a minute" literally, that's not normal.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 09:30PM by CraigMoberg.
June 01, 2015 11:31PM
I figured it was normal, I was just listing everything in case they were indicators of errors. The z axis home once, heats up the bed, then raises about 10 mm and then heats the extruder, then homes and continues to print. The z axis and motors move normally, its just that the x and y max out and it sped through the printing process way to fast.

Here's a video of one of the runs. It might take a while to load and no password is needed:
[www.dropbox.com]

In the video, the extruder is in the opposite corners of the x and y zero positions
I believe the total print time was about 10 minutes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 11:33PM by Sambone.
June 02, 2015 06:43PM
Sounds a bit like you're printing too fast for the printer. What print speed do you have set?

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
June 03, 2015 09:14PM
Did you put it those endstops at max position? have you ever tried to move it to min position?
June 05, 2015 12:56PM
I have the endstops at min, but there is a programmed max position that seems to work pretty well. I did have to put jumpers on the ramps board for the max enstops that I don't have, this makes the printer always think that they are never depressed so it doesn't ever think that they are.

Feed Rate is 4800 mm/min
Z-Axis Feed is 240 mm/min
Not sure why there is 2 inputs for extruder speed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2015 12:58PM by Sambone.
Attachments:
open | download - Print Speed Settings Prus i3.PNG (22.9 KB)
July 04, 2015 09:23PM
Solved, Had my bed left and bed front at 200 instead of 0.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login