Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power supply fell off table, now none of my stepper motors work

Posted by bakeo 
Power supply fell off table, now none of my stepper motors work
May 19, 2015 05:50PM
Title says it all but I'll add some more details. Got a cheap Prusa i3 off aliexpress about 2 months ago. Really haven't had any problems that weren't easy to Google or just fix on my own. We have it on a small table in our living room. The other night we were printing and the power supply got knocked off the table, fell 1.5-2 feet. The print stopped but the printer didn't turn off. Ever since, everything works fine except any of the motors. The bed heats, the nozzle heats, the SD card is read/writeable, but the motors don't make a peep.

I've poked around with my multimeter and everything looks fine. Voltage from the power supply is fine and there's continuity on all the Red/Blue Black/Green stepper motor terminal connections. It has a Melzi board that I believe is the 2.0 version since it has the A4982 stepper drivers. One thing that leads me back to the power supply is that once when I was trying to manually control the motors, the power supply shut off, it wasn't hot and unplugging and plugging back in made it come back on but that's usually not something power supplies do.

The firmware is unknown, searching around I found this thread on repetier from a guy who looks like he's in the same boat with regards to the firmware so I'd like to not replace the board if at all possible. But I'm also confused that if the power supply was damaged in the drop, why is it just unable to move the motors? Is there any way I could further investigate to lock down whether it's the power supply or the board? (Or something else?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login