Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

calibration cube problems

Posted by swicboi 
calibration cube problems
May 15, 2015 03:43AM
Hi guys..So i printed my first semi-successful print...some of the isues i can fix...some im clueless on. The first pic is what it was supposed to be and the second is my print.

Its not perfectly square which i think comes from my y axis not being perfectly square to my x axis. There is also mild stringing which i should be able to tweak with my temp settings. And there was a slip in my y belt which needs to be tightened...

But for some reason my 20 mm cube ended up being 44 mm tall...Im assuming its an error in the marlin firmware but im not sure where, is it my feed rate, layer height, fast moving z axis which i have set to 4000, or is it something else? . Also, whats up with the gaps in my corners and the gaps in the y axis walls they are definately not water tight????
Attachments:
open | download - ideal print.jpg (59.6 KB)
open | download - calibration pic.jpg (9.8 KB)
Re: calibration cube problems
May 15, 2015 03:48AM
Did you Calibrate the Steps per mm. ?

- You do this in the configuration.h file. Check for a line saying "#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT"

If you havent, i would advise you to check out This guide: Triffid Hunter's Calibrations Guide
May 15, 2015 06:03AM
hi...thanx for the website...Ive already calibrated the x and y axis as well as the extruder...but my z steps were set to 4000 when apparently they should have been set at 2560...ill see what that does...would messing with the layer height in slicer affect the overall height as well or just the quality?
May 15, 2015 06:29AM
The software should calculate the required layers from the layer height you set and the height of the object. So no, it should not have a major effect smiling smiley

Glad it helped!
May 16, 2015 03:37PM

but my z steps were set to 4000 when apparently they should have been set at 2560.

If you have an M5 threaded rod, the right value is 4000, 2560 is half stepping so instead of 1/16 you are doing 1/8. reason for a 20mm piece coming out 40mm.

Find the iissue, don't leave it at half sttepimg because you are loosing quality.
May 16, 2015 03:40PM
[forums.reprap.org]

Read this post, he had the same problem and it was a defective driver.
June 03, 2015 02:25AM
hi..im using 5/16" threaded rod...I Live in the US
June 03, 2015 09:52AM
I live in the US too, change that 5/16 rod for an M8, if you have a local Grainger store, you can get it from them. You will never be able to use exact values with the 5/16, 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3 layer height aren't achievable.
June 03, 2015 06:15PM
+1 on the M8 threaded rod. The movement is 0.8 mm/rev. I am running 32 microstepping on 200 step/rev motors. This works out to 8000 steps / mm. 0.1 mm works out to 800 steps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2015 06:21PM by itchytweed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login