Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Random Y-Offset during print & other oddities

Posted by ML3D 
Random Y-Offset during print & other oddities
April 24, 2015 02:28AM
Long time lurker, first time posting. Been following reprap for many years. Recently took the plunge and built a P3Steel Prusa from parts I sourced from a multitude of vendors.

My electronics consist of a Ramps 1.4 setup w/ drv8825 drivers. Motors are the standard Kysan. Power supply is the standard 12v 30A 360W DC switching type ( not an ATX unit ) I have heatinks on the drivers and I have a fan on the ramps board. I also have the smart graphics 12864 lcd hooked up.

I had been having some issues with my printer freezing up mid print, but since I got a new USB cable, and I put a heatsink on the Mega 2560's voltage regulator, I have yet to have a freeze. I temporarily fixed that by printing from the SD card, but after my changes, I started printing from USB again without any problems.

I use Slic3r stand alone (1.1.7). I was originally using Pronterface, but with so much freezing, I tried switching to Repetier. I eventually had some freezing there too. But what was really odd, is that one part that I tried to print a few times, which was pretty small, seemed to generate this random y-offset at some point in the print. It was always about 2-3mm in size. Of course the first thing I did after that was check the belt and the motor, which seemed fine. Anyway, that problem seemed to go away for a couple of weeks or so, only to rear its ugly head this evening 2.5 hours into a 4 hour print. Ugh. So, here I am, hoping to get some help diagnosing my problem, so I can minimize the wasted filament.

edit.. & update

Well, I rebuilt the y axis, because I needed to replace the y belt holder. Y belt is tighter this time. I also reduced the acceleration and jerk a bit. I was able to successfully print the item without the offset problem. I imagine that the combination of the speed, along with the weight of the y carriage + bed, caused a slip. Time will tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 01:59AM by ML3D.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login