Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to 3d printers, have a small issue/question

Posted by NerdWurx 
New to 3d printers, have a small issue/question
April 24, 2015 01:29AM
I just got my prusa i3v 12" setup and printing, but I am noticing a bit of PLA coming out around the top of the hot end around the base where my fan shroud attaches. Slic3r (and my instructional video from the maker of my printer kit) have the hot end set to 225 degrees.. which I feel is a bit much but I know every hot end/printer is a bit different. would my PLA problem be that its too hot?
Re: New to 3d printers, have a small issue/question
April 24, 2015 08:56AM
You need to open your hotend and clean it, once done assemble it again get it up to temperature and then tight your nozzle to prevent leakage.
April 25, 2015 06:43PM
I took it apart and cleaned it all up and its working great. I now have an issue where my first couple layers looks wavy and not straight when it's laid down. The rest of the layers are perfect though. what would cause just the first couple layers to look bad? I've leveled my bed as best as I could
April 25, 2015 06:55PM
The nozzle may be too close to the bed for the first layer. Try rezeroing with the nozzle a little higher.
April 25, 2015 07:07PM
hmm. right now I have it at about a sheet of paper away from the bed, which is what most suggest. Here's a couple pics. you can seen all the layers look great except for the first one or 2.

April 25, 2015 08:01PM
First adjust your extrusion width so the lines get tight together, it will all depend on your nozzle size and layer height. If you are using a 0.4 nozzle for example and a 0.2 layer height, set your extrusion width the same as your nozzle. Do you have a brim set in your slicer? those first layers look more like a brim than the first layer of the part? did you put the part on the built plate? I know that sounds stupid question, but your part might be buried in the plate (Cura have this option) and its actually printing infill instead of solid layer?

If none of that, try slowing the first layer to 50% of regular speed and see if it does it again. It is weird the way it layered with the waves.
April 25, 2015 08:31PM
my nozzle is .4mm and I have it set at 0 default on slic3r, which is supposed to calculate automatically. I have no brim but I have a skirt set, 1 loop, 6mm distance from object and 1 layer in height. I attached my slic3r config file in case anyone wants to look at it and see if anything jumps out at them?
Attachments:
open | download - Prusa_i3v_12in__40Hex175_Custom_PLA.ini (3.2 KB)
May 03, 2015 02:00AM
Looks like its way too far up to me... if you're too close to the bed it squishes into the bed and is wide/flat (thin in Z)... If you level/ touch off your nozzle to the bed with common paper(usually .002-.003") it should'nt have room to 'wiggle' smiling smiley

I'm not familliar with Slic3r (i've run it a few times for comparison but have mostly used Kisslicer and a crappy one that shall not be named)
"
first_layer_height = 0.35
layer_height = 0.2
"
You're almost double your defined layer height for the first layer. unless your bed is jacked up i've heard of people going slightly lower on the first layer to help adhesion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login