Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First print NEED ADVICE

Posted by Ralphy 
First print NEED ADVICE
April 23, 2015 01:34PM
I need help... can anyone advise me on how to improve this print.

Its on a new prusa i3 build using pla and the repetier software with slicr. The nozzle temp is 220 using 1.75mm pla

I have seen this printer get much better quality prints for others online. I'm not sure why its not happening for me.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20150422_223023SMALL.jpg (249.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_20150422_22300755555855SMALL.jpg (292.8 KB)
Re: First print NEED ADVICE
April 23, 2015 01:40PM
How did you get on with [reprap.org]?
April 23, 2015 01:45PM
i just joined yesterday....why?
April 23, 2015 01:47PM
Sorry for the bad formatting. It's a link to the calibration guide. I meant, how did the calibration tests go?
April 23, 2015 02:43PM
too hot for PLA. reason for the strings between segments, lowered to 195. Also increase retraction settings.
April 23, 2015 05:05PM
My first thought was retraction settings, which you would adjust in your slicing software (Slic3r, Cura, etc...). However I think ggherbaz is right that your temperature is to hot, I would adjust that first, assuming you have already followed Tiffrid Hunter's Calibration Guide (linked by JamesK).

For the temperature calibration, I found a YouTube video by RepRap Neo to be very helpful. You basically modify some gcode to lower the temperature of a hollow, 100mm tall box every 10mm or so.
April 23, 2015 05:34PM
JamesK
Sorry for the bad formatting. It's a link to the calibration guide. I meant, how did the calibration tests go?

Forgive my beginner skills. I dont believe i calibrated it.

All the instructions specified was to download some ARDUINO software and insert some "code" folger tech provides from their google drive called Marlin_RAMPS_EPCOS_i38.

From there on out the settings are specified in the Repetier printer settings.....things like the file attached

I will folllow the link now thanks JamesK
Attachments:
open | download - printer settings 1.jpg (565.7 KB)
April 23, 2015 05:36PM
Ok thanks will do!
April 23, 2015 06:11PM
I feel your Folger Tech woes.....
April 23, 2015 06:14PM
ggherbaz
too hot for PLA. reason for the strings between segments, lowered to 195. Also increase retraction settings.

The Folger Techs don't seem to laminate well below that temp.

I printed some PLA the other night at 210*c and delaminated.

At 195*c it barely seems hot enough to extrude.
April 23, 2015 06:16PM
yesssss its like whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooww

This is intense [reprap.org]

Is all that requred to get it right?
April 23, 2015 06:26PM
Ralphy

Is all that required to get it right?

I haven't gone through all of it myself, but it does appear to be the most recommended guide for calibrating your printer.
I, too, don't have a full understanding of that guide either....
(I just want to print obscene things to send to my friends 4500km away. Is that too much to ask!? lol)
April 23, 2015 08:34PM
I had a professor in college that would model obscene things in the Maya course. Very disturbing to think what he may be doing now with this printing technology. Creeper

Hephaestus0000
Ralphy

Is all that required to get it right?

I haven't gone through all of it myself, but it does appear to be the most recommended guide for calibrating your printer.
I, too, don't have a full understanding of that guide either....
(I just want to print obscene things to send to my friends 4500km away. Is that too much to ask!? lol)
April 23, 2015 08:36PM
U mean 195 is too low or 210? 220 is what I did and its messy

Hephaestus0000
ggherbaz

The Folger Techs don't seem to laminate well below that temp.

I printed some PLA the other night at 210*c and delaminated.

At 195*c it barely seems hot enough to extrude.
April 23, 2015 08:57PM
Hephaestus0000,

You are right about some printers needing high temperature to operate right, My CTC printer with an MK7 extruder/hotend won't extrude PLA under 210. But it won't create strings like those in the pictures. That's why I assumed his hotend can go lower.
April 25, 2015 01:56PM
I just noticed another issue the tension on the y axis belt was a little sloppy. How tight do you guys make it?
April 25, 2015 08:58PM
My Folger Tech kit came with two belt tensioner springs. Yours should too.
April 30, 2015 10:16PM
I was able to tension it better, thanks.

NEW ISSUE! I did the RepRap Neo video on the right priting temps and it helped alot. But I also discovered the printer is building everything higher( z-axis) than its supposed to be.

Any idea how to get the z axis to print to the correct dimension like the X and Y axis?
April 30, 2015 10:31PM
Calibrate your Z steps per mm
April 30, 2015 10:56PM
ggherbaz
Calibrate your Z steps per mm

Ok cool thanks but I need a little more guidance? Is this done is Repetier?
May 01, 2015 09:57AM
In your firmware or LCD screen if you have one. Its a simple rule of 3: actual steps X desired distance ÷ actual distance = new step value. You can put in on the motion selection in the display or in firmware configuration h file.
May 01, 2015 01:25PM
ggherbaz
In your firmware or LCD screen if you have one. Its a simple rule of 3: actual steps X desired distance ÷ actual distance = new step value. You can put in on the motion selection in the display or in firmware configuration h file.

I dont have a lcd screen. The firmware I have is ARDUINO and the only file the instructions ask to upload from Folger Tech is a folder called Marlin_RAMPS_EPCOS_i38 which has a bunch of other files in there.

I found this site [prusaprinters.org] but i am still not sure how to use it.

I have a micrometer i'm just not sure how to use it to determine the margine of error thats being generated.

Thanks for the help
May 01, 2015 03:13PM
In Windows, open that folder and dobble click marlin file. Your Arduino IDE will open and you will have access to the firmware settings. On the top tabs, click the configuration h tab, scroll down untill you see the steps per mm settings and change the Z value (third one to the right).

After that, compile and flash it to the mega board.
May 01, 2015 03:31PM
Measure your part, if your old steps are for example 80 and your part was supposed to be 10mm but came out 12mm, you do 80X10÷12 the resulting value will be the new steps per mm value that you need to change in configuration h file.
May 01, 2015 05:55PM
ggherbaz
Measure your part, if your old steps are for example 80 and your part was supposed to be 10mm but came out 12mm, you do 80X10÷12 the resulting value will be the new steps per mm value that you need to change in configuration h file.

Is this it?

// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,4000,90} // default steps per unit for ultimaker {78.7402,78.7402,200*8/3,760*1.1}920
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {250, 250, 2, 22} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {1000,1000,5,1000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

Ok cool so I will print a small cube and see how far its off.

Thank you very much for the details I will report back with the results!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 06:54PM by Ralphy.
May 01, 2015 09:01PM
That's right, don't get disappointed if you are still off after the first calibration. It took me few test prints to get it right.

Print also a big hollow cube, don't calibrate only with small parts.
May 02, 2015 03:01PM
ggherbaz
That's right, don't get disappointed if you are still off after the first calibration. It took me few test prints to get it right.

Print also a big hollow cube, don't calibrate only with small parts.

Ok I will print a 2"x2" x2" cube. Its only that "4000" value that needs to change?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 03:42PM by Ralphy.
May 02, 2015 11:18PM
If all other measures are right, then yes only the 4000. My M5 goes for 4084 and I know others get them working at 4080 so try around that number.
May 04, 2015 02:24PM
The prints z axis error is about twice. A 2" tall obeject prints out 2 15/16"

As far as the marlin firmware goes I was reading last night that you dont have to run the marlin firmware from folger tech. in the image attached this guy talks about downloading the latest firmware but doesnt mention where he got it. Any pros or cons in the quality of the print by going with better firmware. I have yet to get a decent print out of this machine which is technically considered "good
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20150504_124942.jpg (499.6 KB)
open | download - IMG_20150504_120743.jpg (124 KB)
May 04, 2015 02:38PM
Ralphy

. . . this guy talks about downloading the latest firmware but doesnt mention where he got it. . . .

Uh, the Marlin download page, since it is public domain software? Most should be able to find it with a search in single digit seconds, max. Folger does not change thr code at all - they just provide a Configuration.h file that has a lot of setting already madr in it . . . nothing a user could do themself, also in very little time.

- Tim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login