Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MK8 extruder stepper motor clicking and not giving a uniform extrusion.

Posted by gatt710 
MK8 extruder stepper motor clicking and not giving a uniform extrusion.
April 10, 2015 11:56AM
Hi guys, I have bought a reprap just recently and set it up. All is going well so far except for my stepper motor in my extruder is clicking and shaking. When I test it on pronterface it starts well but when it approaches the last bit of extrusion it starts clicking (moving and stopping continuously) and eventually stops. Like it's getting clogged in something. I have checked the mechanism and nothing is blocking it. I have switched plugs with the x-axis and it turns smooth. I have tried reducing the current from the stepper driver but no effect. I have increased the steps per unit in the marlin. The higher the value the smoother it gets but it looses its calibration. I have reduced the maximum feedrate and maximum acceleration but still not much improvement. I wasn't able to print until now as it keeps on freaking out while printing too.

Has anyone of you ever encountered this kind of problem? I'm a newbie in 3d printing :/

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks

Manuel smiling smiley
Re: MK8 extruder stepper motor clicking and not giving a uniform extrusion.
April 10, 2015 12:43PM
It's yours the one with the plastic black box or the one with an aluminum lever and spring tensioner?
April 10, 2015 12:45PM
It's the one with the aluminum lever and spring tensioner.
April 10, 2015 03:00PM
Check the plug on the board. Make sure there aren't any loose strands of wire touching other wires.
Your tensioner may also be too tight.

Controlling from Pronterface: Are you pressing the extrude button multiple times? This sends too many commands and your controller has to slow itself down to keep up.

Your heater block may also not be keeping up with your extrusion speed. Try slowing your extrusion and watch your temperature to make sure it's not dropping too low.
April 10, 2015 04:21PM
I have checked all that you mentioned and no improvement so far. I am suspecting it's a firmware setting as I have checked anything in electronics and mechanical parts which may interfere and found nothing so far :/
April 10, 2015 05:21PM
OK guys, I think I've solved the problem. Turns out that maximum E velocity must not exceed 999. It was 1000 and reduced it to 950. Worked well until now smiling smiley
April 10, 2015 05:33PM
It's the barrel plain stainless steel or does it have a PTFE liner?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login