Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print adherence with temp.

Posted by 3DPrintingNoob 
Print adherence with temp.
April 08, 2015 09:48AM
Hello,

If there is a small temperature difference in the print surface, how much could this affect the print sticking to the surface. For example, if I am printing PLA at 80 deg-C and on the other side of the surface it's at 75 deg-C. Would this affect the adherence of the part to the surface? Would there be warping?

I understand that PLA can be printed within 70 to 85 deg-C so there really shouldn't be a problem right?

Thank you

The (getting better) Noob

Zapadee zoopidee.
Re: Print adherence with temp.
April 08, 2015 12:44PM
For one thing, every printer is different. A given thermistor reading might men different things for the print surface depending on placement of the thermistor and the construction of the bed.

All the temperatures you list, if taken as actual print surface temperatures, are too hot for PLA. It is generally regarded you don't want to go over the glass transition temperature of the material, which for PLA is typically 60-65 C.

Directly answering the question, for any given lot of any given material printing on any given print surface with any given surface prep, making any given part configuration, there's a range of temperatures at the critical locations on the bed that will provide adequate adhesion. For some parts on some machines on some locations on the bed you might have to offset your normal bed temperatures in either direction to keep the critical locations in a usable range.
Re: Print adherence with temp.
April 10, 2015 10:50AM
I completely agree with you. The 70 to 85 deg-C range that I stated was the bed temperature of a PCB Mk1 with the thermistor in its centre. Also, an aluminium plate was on the bed. So the temperature on the surface would be less than that of the bed.

Thank you

The (getting better) Noob

Zapadee zoopidee.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login