Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preventing ABS parts from curling when cooling?

Posted by rocketwiz 
Preventing ABS parts from curling when cooling?
March 27, 2015 09:41AM
Occasionally I print longish non structural objects across the full length of my 200mm bed. I have no problems keeping the part stuck down to the bed during printing using elmers purple glue (so much easier to use than abs slurry).

But when the part cools it develops a slight curvature along the face not stuck to the bed, even though I let it cool before removing. Other than switching to PLA is there anyway to keep the part flat?
Re: Preventing ABS parts from curling when cooling?
March 27, 2015 10:15AM
Did you try playing with the infill? Different % of infill can have influence on the warp you describe. Also different effects when using honeycomb/circular/lines/grid etc.

I haven't printed with ABS for ages, but when I did, I remember from then that infill had influence on these properties. Just keep in mind, changing the parameters can also worsen horizontal warp.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
March 27, 2015 01:31PM
That's call plain old physics. Hot air trapped in the part as its cool down will create enough vacuum to suck in the still warm plastic.

It happens also with PLA but due to lower temperatures it's effects are minimum.

To solve the problem you need either to increase the number of perimeters and top layers or keep a surce of heat close to the part so the cooling takes more time.
March 28, 2015 01:37AM
Thanks for the tips. As I mentioned the parts aren't particularly thick so the effects are more pronounced. I'll try with more infill (currently using rectilinear at 30%) as well as slow down the bed cooling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login