Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wade extruder: gears 'gridning'

Posted by DoctorWoo 
Wade extruder: gears 'gridning'
March 24, 2015 08:51PM
First off, sorry if this has been answered before. I did look, and failed to see anyone with this exact same issue, or a soultion for them that I have not tried.

Second, printer info: I have a Prusa i2 running off a Gen6 boar with Marlin firmware. The extruder is a Wade with J hotend, with a .3mm nozzle. I'm using 3mm ABS plastic. Bed is heated, but not from gen 6 (obviously)

Anyways, heres the issue: when I extrude through pronterface directly, I can get a few good pushes of plastic before the grinding. If I print, I can get about 1/8th of the first layer before griding.
By grinding, I mean the two gears literally grind off each other. Thankfully, it no server enough to eat the teeth [yet]. All that reall happens is it tries to turn, the motor kind of "hops" off the large gear, and the cycle repeats until I stop it. If I try and extrude out after I stop, it will grind again. However, if I reverse, then feed again, it will start extruding again. However, that only works maybe once after third time.

I have tried quite a few things, listed below:
-Cleaned the hot end (insert filament, cool down, pull. Poked out with wire. Used acetone)
-Changed temperature of hotend
-Adjusted tension of the clamp to the hobbed bolt
-Cleaned the hobbed bolt
-Adjust current going to the motor (both up, and down)
-changed to a new filament (still 3mm ABS)

All of this has yet to change or correct the issue.
This is an issue that just started. And by "just started" I mean I have fantastic prints about 4 months back, stopped printing, went back to print, and now: this issue.
Re: Wade extruder: gears 'gridning'
March 25, 2015 12:05AM
What's your feedrate in Marlin? probably too high.

Lowered to half of what you got now and test, increase in 100 steps till you get a good extrusion without grinding.

Also, your gears might be to tight against each other or too much separated?
Re: Wade extruder: gears 'gridning'
March 31, 2015 09:23PM
Does it happen with the filament removed? (i.e. gears just grind and don't spin?) -- if so, it's probably a feedrate/configuration issue.

I had a similar issue for a day or two with my Wade's Extruder -- to test, I took and plugged the motor into another axis (X axis) without any filament and issued a move command -- and the gears worked. (Make sure to only change the plugs while it's powered off!!)

From there I narrowed it down to a bunch of random firmware settings. -- What firmware are you using? -- I was using repetier.

There was feedrate issues, and also a safety setting that prevented the gears from turning if the temp reported anything less than 170. -- I temporarily disabled that and tested with the filament removed until I got the feedrate correct.

Make sure when updating firmware settings that you disable eeprom (or otherwise load the default values and update eeprom). In Marlin, EEPROM appears to be off by default, so nothing to worry about there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login