Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best build surface/platform for different print materials

Posted by 3DPrintingNoob 
Best build surface/platform for different print materials
March 17, 2015 05:11AM
Hello again,

I would like to know what would be the best build platform and surface for different print materials.

E.g. Glass plate with Kapton tape is pretty good for printing ABS.

What about PLA, Polycarbonate and other materials? What would you say are the optimum setups for printing them?

Please reply soon.

The Noob

The (getting better) Noob

Zapadee zoopidee.
Re: Best build surface/platform for different print materials
March 17, 2015 11:05AM
I was frustrated for 2 years by printing ABS on glass, kapton, and PET films. I tried the ABS juice and just about everything else I could think of or had read about, but still had issues of warping and poor bed adhesion. ALL of my ABS problems have been solved by using "Ultem" or PEI sheets as a substrate. I was reluctant to spend the $50.00 on a 12"x12", 1/8" thick piece of Ultem sheet stock, but I will never go back. When you add up all of the time and effort, plus the cost of kapton tape, acetone, and the inevitable failed prints it pays for itself very quickly.

I have yet to try printing PLA on the Ultem, but others report excellent results. I usually print PLA on a sheet of glass covered in 3M blue painter's tape and have had no issues.

For nylon and PET-G, I have had great success using glass coated in Elmer's glue stick, but nylon is still pretty tricky. Though I have not tried it myself, the consensus seems to be that Garolite gives the best adhesion for printing nylon.
March 17, 2015 01:22PM
PEI for ABS all the way. Glas + Gluestick for PLA, PET, most flexible stuff and Nylon.
I tried Whale Tufnol for Nylon, similar to garolite, it does work, but parts can stick so tight that you migth even damage them on removal.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 18, 2015 06:12AM
Okay thank you. I will put them in consideration.

The (getting better) Noob

Zapadee zoopidee.
March 18, 2015 07:52AM
Just wanted to jump in saying you could use the search for this, it's a very well known topic and a lot has been said about this. In the wiki there is also some info about combinations that work.

For example here (found after 5 seconds of googling):
[reprap.org]

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login