Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS printing on GLASS with HAIRSPRAY what are your techniques and tips

Posted by lunarkingdom 
ABS printing on GLASS with HAIRSPRAY what are your techniques and tips
March 16, 2015 08:48PM
As the title said ABS printing on GLASS with HAIRSPRAY what are your techniques and tips?

I was using Home Depot glass for a while but I was getting pieces of glass chipping off with the print. I am now using borosilicate glass with beveled edges and am having the same albeit smaller problem with small shards separating with the print from the printed on face.

I typically use 3 light coats applied while the bed is heating up for a specular finish, is this too much? I am not flooding it just a light mist 3 times with time to dry in between.

With large parts (my bed is 200mm x 200mm and by large I mean a triangle that is 200 x 150 x 150mm and 20mm thick in height) I have zero lift up using a 1mm skirt, ABS printing at 245C first layer bed temp of 105C and the rest of print at 100C.

To remove my parts I use a frozen ice pack that is for injuries, I have also used just letting it cool to room temp of about 20C, both methods cause small chips every 3 or 4 prints.

Tips? Tricks? Share your experiences? Would love to hear all of your tales and gain insight from the discussion ;-)
Re: ABS printing on GLASS with HAIRSPRAY what are your techniques and tips
March 16, 2015 10:03PM
I use normal float glass cleaned with non amonia glass cleaner.
When the bed is just starting to warm up I give one little spray of hair spray (Garnier Fructis Extreme 5) and then go from there.
3mm ABS at 240c and bed at 110c.
Re: ABS printing on GLASS with HAIRSPRAY what are your techniques and tips
March 17, 2015 05:51AM
That must be one hell of a hair-spray! What brand is it?. 2 coats should be enough.
Anyway, letting it cool down to room temp is a good idea but don't try to lift or pull the part off. Instead, tap it from the side (like you were hitting it with a small hammer sliding across the glass). Of course, the larger the part,or, more precisely, the larger the surface area that is contacting the glass, the stronger will be the adhesion, so, in that case, I would drop the glass and its stuck part into a tray of water (after its cooled) and leave it soak for 10 minutes or so.

March 17, 2015 11:48AM
aqua net purple bottle, mom has been using it since the 1980's so it is good stuff winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login