Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament Extruding Incorrectly

Posted by rpartovi 
Filament Extruding Incorrectly
March 16, 2015 08:47PM
So I've been having issues with my last few prints on my MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v. When my extruder starts laying the down the first few layers they come out all squiggly looking. As more layers are being layed down, the extruder starts laying out the filament a lot more clean and crisp looking. I'm not quite sure what is actually causing this issue and was hoping someone would give me advise on how to go about fixing this issue.

I have my extruder at 225 degrees and I'm using ABS filament.

I have also attaches some images as reference.

Please let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

[imgur.com]
[i.imgur.com]
Re: Filament Extruding Incorrectly
March 16, 2015 08:53PM
Well it looks like your first layer height is too large, it should smear the plastic which also gives you better adhesion. Have you calibrated your hotend temps? They are not always spot on, I have not done mine yet due to all the swapping of extruders and hotends as of late but in my experience ABS likes to be printed at 240-245C I use 245C all the time. I am unsure what the zig zag is, check your belts, could be too loose or too tight (mentioned too tight as the wobble could be the teeth on the belts in x and y wobbling if too tight, it is a guess and a long shot but thought I would mention it. Have you calibrated your current in the stepper motors? I have heard if they are too low that could also contribute to a condition like this.
March 16, 2015 10:07PM
First the 225c is a little low for ABS, I think most people use 235c while I found I get stronger parts at 250c but that requires an all metal hotend.

Another forum I read has someone have a similar wavy look to their prints though the wave is small and closer together. They can see the issue while extruding in air as well (lift your nozzle off the bed quite a way then extrude in air) theirs with loop back and attach to the nozzle but if they guide it to finally get it to extrude in air the end plastic also shows the wavy spots.

They have yet to find a solution. Most of the causes that have been suggested are around an imperfection in the nozzle, from a burr inside to junk floating around. But as I mentioned they have not found a solution to the issue yet.

I would suggest you try extruding in open air to see if it's the same thing as the other person.
March 19, 2015 01:50PM
Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll try doing some calibrations this weekend (tightening the belt, checking the current in the stepper motors, etc.)

Also I've tried extruding in open air by turning the extruder gear by hand and it is looping back and attaching to the nozzle. Is there anyone way I can remedy this situation? Please let me know when you can, thanks!
March 19, 2015 02:31PM
Your Z home is too high.
When you home the Z axis your hotend should allow a piece of standard paper slide under with very little resistance.
Too low and you are going to slide across the bed and too high and you get squiggles.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login