Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament choice for printer parts - ABS, PET+, PC, ETC?

Posted by mike_richards 
Filament choice for printer parts - ABS, PET+, PC, ETC?
March 14, 2015 08:42PM
I'm about to start printing some parts for a new printer, what would be the best filament choice? I'm printing with a e3d volcano hotend. I think most people print parts in ABS? What about Polycarbonate or PET+ or Carbon Fiber PLA or Carbon Fiber ABS? What is the best choice for strength and rigidity for printer parts? I have only been printing in ABS, so it would be awesome to get some input from someone who has printed with these other materials.

Thanks,
Mike
Re: Filament choice for printer parts - ABS, PET+, PC, ETC?
March 15, 2015 01:31AM
Open frame: PLA parts with exception of X carriage and hotend holder and accesories, you can print extruder geard in PLA.
Enclose Printer: all the parts in ABS.

You can use any material that will be strong and temperature resistant depending of its position in the printer, it's all about cost.

Poor infill, big layer heights and too much speed are the main cause of parts breakage not the material itself.
March 15, 2015 01:35AM
I'm planning on printing V-Slot Gantry Plates, so rigidity wise ABS should be fine then?
March 15, 2015 04:11AM
I wouldn't use any PLA or PET, both get soft at pretty low temperatures. ABS is always my first choice for printer parts, not only because it is pretty stable above 100C but also because you can machine it easily.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 15, 2015 07:35AM
Im about to invest in a roll of Taulman bridge, the nylon mix they made to be easier to print than straight nylon.
[www.shop.3dfilaprint.com]
My only connection to this lot is as a customer.

I mainly print in abs at the moment with a dabble in ninjaflex but this should be better for hotter areas and stronger too.

Its supposed to stick to the build plate easier than regular nylon but still have the extra strength and higher temp.
It only comes in a sort of white translucent colour so out goes my nice red colour scheme for my printer.
But it looks like it might be an interesting material to print with.
Ive already got a hot end, Hexagon all metal, that can handle the higher extrusion temp so just need to get it and experiment.

Gordon
March 15, 2015 04:13PM
Bridge is ok to print, maybe the easiest of all the Nylon variations i tried yet. It still has problems with bigger prints and it is not nearly as hard as ABS or PLA.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 15, 2015 04:57PM
Do you mean in can bend a bit?
As i was led to believe it was stronger than both abs and pla.

Gordon
March 16, 2015 06:01AM
It is stronger, just not as hard. Yes you can bend it, while not realy flexible, it is not stiff at all.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 16, 2015 11:31PM
I print my bushings with Taulman Bridge, you will have to make it really thick to prevent bending. It is really strong and you can have a hard time trying to brake it, but it will bend and deform with pressure.

If you can print at high temperatures try Polycarbonate.
March 23, 2015 11:21AM
Try making some parts out of hardwood. With proper machines, the structure and temperature capeabilities are great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login