Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r (I think) issues

Posted by anvoice 
Slic3r (I think) issues
March 14, 2015 01:57AM
Hi,

Having several issues that seem to be slic3r related, was wondering if anyone might now a good workaround. My setup is Pronterface with slic3r, with the Marlin firmware, the machine is a prusa i3 rework.
The issues are:
1) When printing a thin (.5mm) wall tower, the printer finishes a square section, then quickly backtraces to the opposite corner from the finish point, ripping up the plastic it just laid out somewhat. Only then it raises the nozzle, and once again travels to the starting point. My guess is that it moves away initially so that it doesn't start the next layer where it finished the previous due to overextrusion problems or something similar, but can I somehow stop it from tearing up portions of the print? I don't think going back and deleting/altering the gcode manually would be feasible for any reasonably sized print of that nature...
2) The way it rounds corners on the aforementioned tower seems to create seams on some of the corners while others look better. In particular, the gcode instructions for some of the coreners involve small movements in the corners themselves that apparently specify the proper turning, while one of the corners lacks those instructions and the previous segment connects to the next. I think that corner looks better than the others (the seam is not as evident). Is there a way to make slic3r do the turns in the same manner for all the corners?
3) The instruction for raising the z axis for the layer change has an acceleration of 3600, which exceeds the max acceleration I have for the z axis in the firmware (100) and causes an annoyingly loud noise on every layer change. Any way to make slic3r adhere to the firmware? I can't find a z acceleration option in the settings.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

EDIT: Downloading the latest copy of slic3r seems to have solved issues 1 and 2, however the loud noise on every layer change remains. I think the F3600 which I assumed to be acceleration is actually the speed setting, and the printer gets the acceleration for the z not from the gcode but somewhere else (firmware settings?). My firmware has the max z acceleration set to 200, and the max z-jerk set to .1mm/s. Changing the jerk from .4 to .1 seems to have done nothing to stop the noise. Anyone know of a good way to force the z axes to raise a bit slower on layer changes? The current speed is essentially loud and saves virtually no time given how little time is spent changing layers overall, plus I'm sure it wears the motors and screws more than necessary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2015 05:28PM by anvoice.
Re: Slic3r (I think) issues
March 14, 2015 05:08PM
I'm not sure I can help much, but, I was having a similar problem with the Z making a loud noise from being told to go too fast, but that was from Slic3r's starting gcode (G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle) , which I changed to G1 Z0.200 F100.

There are some layer and perimiter settings in advanced mode of slic3r that might interest you, but it sounds like this is more of a problem with the Z motors skipping. I change my acceleration settings in the EEPROM Settings on Repetier Host; Pronterface certainly must have EEPROM settings also (although the EEPROM will only override your firmware settings if you have allowed it in your firmware.)

Maybe you'd do better to use Repetier Host? I don't know which one people prefer, but the forum on this site for Repetier host has >1000 threads in it while the one for Pronterface only has 4. If the numbers were the other way around I'd certainly give Pronterface a shot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2015 05:12PM by kre8.
Re: Slic3r (I think) issues
March 14, 2015 08:45PM
I doubt the z motors are skipping, but the acceleration is indeed the issue, it's just that I don't know how to prevent pronterface from setting it that high (higher than my firmware should allow). I couldn't find a way to set layer change (z) acceleration in the advanced settings.

Repetier/host sounds promising, I was just hoping to avoid relearning when I can already use pronteface. Might be what I have to try if no one has any suggestions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login