Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Updated Marlin, Extruder motor not moving.

Posted by cheaptrick2 
Updated Marlin, Extruder motor not moving.
March 09, 2015 09:18PM
Hello there! As you can tell by title, I currently have updated marlin, and I am running into some issues with my extruder motor suddenly not moving.
Keep in mind that everything DID used to fuction as expected.

I have added a 2004 LCD to my Folgertech prusa i3, and I was updating marlin to allow the LCD to work. When I enabled all of the strings that I required, I was left with a compile error about the SD card string.
I did some more research, and found that this was an issue pertaining to this version of marlin, and was fixed soon after. I grabbed the latest version of Marlin, I updated all of my variable to those of my original file, and the lcd works!

The motors move, and everything is great, except for the fact the my extruder motor is not turning. It isn't stuck, the motor will not turn when I load a test print. I have double checked my configuration file, and I cannot find the discrepancy.

Can someone help me? I have my original, and new configuration.h files on pastebin linked:

Original: [pastebin.com]

New (extruder motor issue): [pastebin.com]

Thank you! and have a great day!
Re: Updated Marlin, Extruder motor not moving.
March 10, 2015 06:32PM
Is the hot end heating?

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
March 11, 2015 12:03PM
3dkarma
Is the hot end heating?

Yes it is, but my motor will not spin. I can feel it spin slightly when I manually control it with my lcd, but nothing more.
March 12, 2015 05:27PM
Bump. Anyone? Anything?
March 12, 2015 06:14PM
After a quick look, there's nothing obvious wrong.

Have you checked for other issues? Loose gear / feeder on the extruder? Have you tried swapping connections (with the power off) to see if a different motor will drive, or swapped the stepper drivers to see if the problem is a bad driver (also swapping with the power off)? Have you tried reloading the original firmware to see if you can get movement again?

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
March 14, 2015 09:20AM
I did check, it is the firmware. I swapped the cables, and it worked as a different axis, and I reflashed the old firmware (marlin 1.1) and it works. It seems that any marlin firmware above 1.1 is giving me issues.
March 21, 2015 01:42PM
Bump. Can anyone help me with this? Like I said, the extruder is only moving on marlin firmware 1.1 or below. If I upgrade to marlin 1.2 or any of the development versions, the only thing the extruder will do when I tell it to manually extrude is twitch a little bit.
March 22, 2015 08:20PM
I just thought of this, could the wiring for the a single ramps extruder be changed in 1.2 so the main extruder is e1 instead of e0? Is this a possibility?
March 23, 2015 04:17AM
This shouldn't really make a difference, but in your new Configuration.h you define your board as number 33 - it should be BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB, which is defined as 33 in boards.h. I think it was consistent between the two version of Marlin you've been using, but I'm not sure.

If you want to use E1 as your default extruder, you could try modifying pins.h. For BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB, lines 680 through 690 of pins.h are where you'll need to make the modification. I think you'll just need to change line 683 from

#define HEATER_0_PIN 10 // EXTRUDER 1

to

#define HEATER_0_PIN 9 // EXTRUDER 1

but use this at your own risk.

Alternatively, change your configuration.h to use the board BOARD_RAMPS_13_EEB, set your config to have two extruders, wire your extruder up to E1 and change your slicing settings to use E1 for everything.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login