Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Argh! Print failed with "spaghetti" with 30 minutes left on a 2.5 hour job!

Posted by TBJ 
TBJ
Argh! Print failed with "spaghetti" with 30 minutes left on a 2.5 hour job!
March 09, 2015 07:22PM
Hi,

I think one of the most frustrating things that can happen to a 3D printer owner is a failure near the end of a long print, and that's what happened to me tonight, for the first time (I'm usually aware of any problems near the start of the print, and once it's around half an hour in I tend to leave the printer to do its job).

So I was printing the X-end motor holder for our Prusa I2. I've started using some new filament today, it's black PLA and seemed to be giving great results, right until near the end of the print when I went away to run some errands and came back to find that the layers had stopped sticking and the printer had produced a load of plastic spaghetti instead. The Z axis was about a centimeter above where it obviously stopped sticking and had obviously just been extruding plastic into thin air.

My question is, what could have caused this? I have a theory - I have a bit of a makeshift filament feed system at the moment and I wonder if it jammed and stopped extruding for long enough to cause a problem.

I just want to avoid this happening again before setting the print off again, but without knowing exactly where it had the problem, I'm a bit buggered.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Cheers.
Re: Argh! Print failed with "spaghetti" with 30 minutes left on a 2.5 hour job!
March 09, 2015 08:09PM

I have a bit of a makeshift filament feed system at the moment

You probably answer your own question. If you didn't have a knot in the filament spool, unless you have a flickering heat resistor, most likely your feed system was at fault. Too little tension or too much, clogged gear with filament and small tolerances between filament and guide tube usually cause what I call "noddle art"
Re: Argh! Print failed with "spaghetti" with 30 minutes left on a 2.5 hour job!
March 09, 2015 09:47PM
X or Y axis slipped?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login