Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder not printing

Posted by nealre 
Extruder not printing
March 09, 2015 01:02AM
For those of you who have expierenced this problem like myself it is very frustrating. I have all my adjustments made and was on my final countdown doing touch ups on the slic3r program when some how i lost control of the extruder? Everything else worked sill but the extruder just would not print plastic. I started thinking software, then hardware? What happened? because i was working with the slic3r program i started there as there is a selection as to what type printer you have. Also, as was mentioned, the deminsions must be set too before you start printing, but i have done that already. A good point here maybe to make a good backup asap after everything is done or once or twice as you get things about done. That way if the worst happens, well, you'll be glad you did.(smile)
I finally, found my backup and after some work got everything back up, but by this time i had looked for other copies and studied why they didn't work? Finding one where the extruder worked i as able to fix the endstop problems and was printing again, but why is this happening? The second time i got everything setup printed and was sooo glad to being very close to done just wanted to play with the slic3r program some more. Well,; the next morning i got up and as some point fired up the printer and it would not print again! this time i was much more prepared and it didn't shock me so bad. I knew exactly what i had done and where i had been so the problem is narrowed down quite a bit.
I believe the display unit to be the problem? Why you say because nothing else had been touched but loading the data into the SD card.I pulled the SD card out but it still didn't work. So, i went back to work fixing the software and got the extruder back one more time. THIS time i left the display unconnected and it is still working! Something in the software that saves to the SD card is corrupting the extruder setting. If it doesn't sound right to you, well, that's ok i know it to be a fact for me.

I built my Pursa 3i from scratch using SainSmart electronics of which i have found to be very good. I purchased the mother board from another well known company when at first i couldn't get the display working and it was a nightmayer! Nothing but problems ... don't but cheep stuff or you'll have all kinds of problems.

I down loaded the Merlin software from the Reprap site as well as PronterFace and Slic3r. Great software thanks to all you who have made this sooo possible.
tried to get familiar with the software as i too am new at this and after a while found the ENDSTOP problems. I know this software was ment for many different systems so it does take some tweeking.

I finally got the display to work, and it works very well, i mite add. Then I thought i was done? When all this trouble started happening again.

I am printing but i hope someone who knows this software will take the time and find the problem and please let me know as well as the others that have had the same issues.
I have spent countless hours on all this, if anyone thinks this was simple you're wrong, but the challenge has been a great reward for me and i hope this info helps others.

When i rest up i'm going to look at the SD card again but for now i'm glad to be up and printing.

Anyone with info who wants to share please do....

Rick
Re: Extruder not printing
March 09, 2015 06:41PM
This is a little bit of stream of consciousness stuff, here. Could you perhaps condense this down and just describe the problem(s) you're currently having?

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login