Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

best slicer settings for this print?

Posted by Eqpirate07 
best slicer settings for this print?
March 02, 2015 08:10PM
So I am trying to make something and I am going to definitely need some support for this object but I haven't messed around with this feature in slicer that much. The two times that I have used it, the objects didn't turn out too too well.

Attached is the .STL file for what I want to print.

Can someone help me or give me a few tips with the best setting for slicer, if anyone has had luck or knows how to properly use this feature?

Thanks in advance!

-Jake
Attachments:
open | download - step4 (repaired).stl (137.4 KB)
Re: best slicer settings for this print?
March 03, 2015 03:42PM
You should turn the object so it is upright with the center pole going up and down. then use support feature. The support will be spotty at best in it's current orientation.

Just note that something like this is one of the harder type of models to get to print good unless you are familiar with using support.

If you need this part then have at it. If you are just starting out and playing, then I would start with easier stuff as this is not the easiest object to print.
March 03, 2015 03:50PM
thank you for the reply!

My z-axis height limitations prevent me from doing that or I would have. My z-axis is just long enough for this job so I was going to try that. I guess ill play around with it and run some tests, I just didn't want to waste some filament. If need be I can buy new rods and print out some parts to increase my z-length. I just didn't want to go through all the trouble! sad smiley

Thanks,

-Jake
March 05, 2015 06:08PM
So just fooling around with settings and orientation with just one revolutions worth.

Pretty good upright, ill have to go with that and add a bit more support.
Attachments:
open | download - dog machine.JPG (160.3 KB)
March 05, 2015 07:29PM
Even though that is a complicated part, if you want to print it sideways, you have to do 3 things:

1. lift the part from the bed at least 3 to 4 mm. Don't try to print it from the bed (it will fail)
2. Change support angle from 45 to 30, that will add more support structure, if you can increase support percentage (my slicer option) do so.
3. Print as slow as you can 15 to 20mm per sec.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login