Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Masking Tape peels off during (big) Prints

Posted by 0backbone0 
Masking Tape peels off during (big) Prints
February 26, 2015 02:06PM
Hi,

to make the first Layer stick I use standard Masking Tape from the Hardware Store. The particular Brand that I purchased last has a waxy feel to it and the plastic won't bond with the Tape at all.
The Solution to this Problem is to ruff the Surface up with some 180 Grit sand Paper. This worked perfectly for all the things I printed so far.
Now I am trying to Print a really big object. The Plastic sticks well to the Tape, but the Tape peels off the Glass on the Edges of the Printbed. Any Tips on how to prevent this?
Re: Masking Tape peels off during (big) Prints
February 26, 2015 02:59PM
You can:
1. Press the tape down past the sides and to the bottom.
2. You said "Standard Masking Tape", if this is the white kind it doesn't stick very well. Try BLUE painters tape. Most of them have a better tack.
3. If you are using a heatbed, turn it down or off. the tack on the tape softens and releases when heated too much.
4. Cover your printer to prevent any room drafts from cooling the corners and making them curl.
5. Instead of tape, try stick glue or hair spray.
February 26, 2015 05:03PM
Hi,

I tried 1. before. Doesn't work for me. And yes, by standard i mean the white kind.
There are no supplyers around my location that sell Blue Masking Tape, thus i would have to get it online. Althou there is nothing wrong with that
it is good to have some tricks up my sleeve. (if time is short you know?)
I heard about the Hairspray, and the Gluestick, never tried it thou. My main concern is how do i clean the Glass afterwards.

I think i will try the Gluestick method tomorrow.

Thank you for all thouse tips. I keep you updated.
March 02, 2015 01:39PM
So. Glue stick seem to work. I had to move the Printhead closer to the Surface for the first Layer thou. Tape seems more forgiving then Gluestick.
I just printed small parts right now, just to get a feel how Gluestick benefits, or influences the Print. Will try a big print shortly. (I am a little anxious, cause, if this fails at the last layers i wasted another 350 g of Plastic)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login