Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mini Kossel problems

Posted by Hork 
Mini Kossel problems
February 23, 2015 02:40PM
Hello,

I'm having some problems with my Mini Kossel.

Specs:
  • I have the infamous Makergeeks kit (2015 edition)
  • Attempting to print with 3mm PLA with target temperature of 185C
  • Nozzle seems to be about 0.3mm or 0.35 mm, judging by the plastic strands coming out
  • Mainly using Pronterface and Slic3r as software

Problem 1: Maintaining Z-height during horizontal motion. I have the firmware values manually calibrated so that I can go from home to any position on the print surface and arrive at the correct height. However, when I start doing horizontal movements the print head tends to drop and touch the bed. What causes this? Do I need to tighten my belts? They don't seem to be slipping, but they're not exactly guitar-string tight either.

Problem 2: Severe under-extrusion while printing. I've confirmed that when I manually tell the extruder to advance, say, 5mm, the filament does move 5mm. I've checked this both with the Bowden tube detached and then with just the print nozzle removed. With the nozzle on and the hot-end at temperature, I can usually perform manual extrusions that produce reasonable amounts of plastic (though the thing seems to get stuck/clogged very easily). The problem is when I slice a model and run a print job, the extruder gear barely seems to be turning and almost no plastic comes out. I've tried increasing the flow rate and decreasing the feed/print rate, but I'm still barely getting any plastic laid down. I've tried just about every setting in Slic3r related to the print head but it just doesn't seem to ever push even close to enough plastic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Mini Kossel problems
February 23, 2015 03:42PM
1. The belts nees to be taut, otherwise there will be backlash, which is one possible cause of the head hitting the bed.

2. It sounds to me that the extruder motor is missing steps. This may be because the head is hitting the bed and blocking the nozzle, or it may indicate that the extruder stepper motor current is too low.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login