Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Non smooth surface on 0.1 layer height or lower

Posted by Evan 
Non smooth surface on 0.1 layer height or lower
February 19, 2015 10:36AM
Hello all,
Lately my home build (i3 based) printer has some pretty good printing results so i decided to increase printing quality by lowering the layer height. So far i really like the results till I used this red ABS with layer height 0.1. (See added pictures)

The surface is very rough en not smooth, I personally thought it was a temperature or extrusion multiply problem, but modifying the extrusion temperature or/and the extrusion multiplier doesn’t really change anything to the quality of the print.
At the moment I’m using a ABS-S (example: [www.kunststofshop.nl]〈=NL THIS IS NOT THE WEBSITE WHERE I BOUGHT IT FROM JUST AN EXAMPLE)
It just feels like this ABS is not capable of printing at this layer height. (maybe the visosity is to high or something like that)

Maybe somebody can tell me what I’m doing wrong or has the same problem and solved it by using other material?

Thanks in advance

Evan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 10:37AM by Evan.
Attachments:
open | download - layer height problem 1.jpg (332.5 KB)
open | download - layer height problem 3.jpg (237.8 KB)
open | download - layer height problem 2.jpg (524.4 KB)
open | download - layer height problem 4.jpg (464 KB)
Re: Non smooth surface on 0.1 layer height or lower
February 19, 2015 10:41AM
Btw i'm using a direct drive extruder, 1.75mm ABS, heated bed with kaptontape and a glass plate and nozzle size is 0.4mm

I was thinking maybe the extruder is just not running smooth enough. It is running on 1/16 step but the X and Y axis are on 1/32 step, so could i be possible that this is a overkill for the arduino?
February 19, 2015 04:35PM
Some printers cannot print this layer height well. However try to cut your speed in half before giving up. It's a common thing that the higher quality is a mix between layer height and speed. The lower the layer height the slower speed will be needed.
February 20, 2015 03:33AM
I will try that begin next week, first a big print smiling smiley

Btw a had an sample of PLA and 0.1 layer height with PLA was perfect, if slow speed doesn't work maybe i order some other samples of ABS and see if this works better.
February 24, 2015 07:49PM
hmm... how hot is the coldend? It should be cool to the touch.
February 25, 2015 04:29AM
Hot end was hot enough, but it looks like i solved the problem. I thoroughly cleaned the nozzle and extruder (why didn't i think of that before...). Probably there was some pollution inside which caused the extruder to not run 100% smooth. It was smooth enough for think layers but the thin layers where too much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 04:29AM by Evan.
February 25, 2015 11:58AM
I meant the coldend (the part with the heatsink/fan) but I guess a nozzle clog would also cause issues.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login