Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Screw Threads

Posted by ITFlyGuy 
Screw Threads
February 18, 2015 03:42PM
Hi All - still a newbie - having trouble getting threads on a large bolt to print cleanly. Please attached.

Printing in 1.75mm PLA
.15mm layer height

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks...
Attachments:
open | download - threads.jpeg (427.9 KB)
Re: Screw Threads
February 18, 2015 04:05PM
Without support material, that's a tough one. If you lack support capability you might be better off printing it as a cylinder with the diameter being the major axis diameter or as a half-depth thread and then go in with a die of the appropriate thread.
February 18, 2015 04:07PM
Wow - I never would have guessed support material. I'll enable that and try again. thanks!
February 19, 2015 08:05AM
With support material on such a small thread, you do however run the risk of making the thread very bumpy. But it might get cleaner if you move the nut over it a few times.

You can also cut the object in half across the length and glue both halves together. That way you get a nice strong object, but you have to use good glue for that and it's very hard to glue it precisely. TO help glue it you can add two pinholes in both halves and print two small pins that join the part centered so the glue only keeps it together and the pins help aligning the halves.

The same idea is used in this gun prop from Men in Black:
[www.myminifactory.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 08:06AM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
February 24, 2015 07:46PM
they layers arent cooling quick enough. Print 6 at once. Mine do the same thing when printing single small objects. Also, make sure that your line thickness equals your nozzle by tweaking the extrusion multiplier.
February 27, 2015 10:47AM
Thanks iamdarkyoshi ! Brilliant. Threads are printing much better - not perfect - but getting close. I reduced temperature as well.
Attachments:
open | download - M10bolts.jpeg (437.7 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login