Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with my Folger Tech Prusa I3

Posted by Goosey73 
Problems with my Folger Tech Prusa I3
February 15, 2015 10:30PM
So Im here in hope someone can help me get this baby working so I dont feel like I wasted money.When i use repetier host to try and move the motors manually it wont move z at all and it just sort of make noise with x and y. Most of the time it says it is hitting a endstop but i purposely unplugged them to try and fix that but to no avail. Any tips or pictures of board wirings would be amazing, if i seem vague in my problem please specify what i need to tell you i am new to this world.
Re: Problems with my Folger Tech Prusa I3
February 15, 2015 11:09PM
You can view my RAMPS wiring using the links in my signature.

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
February 15, 2015 11:19PM
Does it matter if the y motor is in the front of the machine? Also it looks like you have jumpers on some of the unused gp pins. Does that make a difference? The wiring doesn't look different from mine really but i can't get the z motors to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 07:50AM by Goosey73.
February 16, 2015 09:10AM
Goosey73
Does it matter if the y motor is in the front of the machine? Also it looks like you have jumpers on some of the unused gp pins. Does that make a difference? The wiring doesn't look different from mine really but i can't get the z motors to work.

Goosey73,
I just finished putting together my Folger Tech Reprap this weekend and ran into the same problem. This is my first printer and learned quite a bit in two days.
As long as you followed the instruction and wired everything correctly you should be mechanically and electrically ready. I am willing to bet you have a software issue with the end stops. While in Repetier in the manual control section, while not on any limit switches, type in command M119 and to see what it returns. I'm willing to bet you Max Endstop for Z is activated. Here is what I had to do to correct the issue.

In Configuration.h I had to verify that my endstops for all axis=-1
Then I had to disable all the max endstops. Sorry I can't remember the exact description off the top of my head. Maybe somebody else can chime in with a more descriptive answer to the changes. Hope this helps some.
February 16, 2015 09:32AM
I appreciate any feedback at this point. What program can I edit the.h file with? And did you use gp pins
February 16, 2015 09:55AM
Goosey73
I appreciate any feedback at this point. What program can I edit the.h file with? And did you use gp pins

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you mention gp pins.

As for editing the configuration.h file you can use word pad if you are using windows.
February 16, 2015 10:45AM
Goosey73
Does it matter if the y motor is in the front of the machine?

No. The location of the Y-axis motor doesn't matter as long as the bed moves forward when sent forward, and to the rear when sent toward the rear. This can be changed easily by reversing the stepper motor plug at the RAMPS board or in the firmware.

Goosey73
Also it looks like you have jumpers on some of the unused gp pins.

The only jumpers I have in place are the ones below the A4988 stepper drivers (all three are installed at each socket to use 1/16th stepping), and one on the 5V-VCC pins to use the Arduino 5 volt regulator to power the 5V pins in the servo bank.

I have added a 2-pin header to the 12v-aux location near the polyfuses, to provide 12 volt output to my extruder fans/LEDs. The photos show a 2-pin Dupont plug (resembles a jumper I suppose) plugged in there...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 10:47AM by MindRealm.

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

February 16, 2015 11:04AM
OK. I'm going to try what Zoar said. I need to locate a store with jumpers as well micro center didn't carry them. Thank you for all your help
February 16, 2015 11:19AM
You should have received 15 jumpers with your FolgerTech kit. This gives you three spares (not being used at the E1 stepper socket) that you can use. Also, they are the same as used in computer equipment, hard drives, etc.

What do you need them for?

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

February 16, 2015 12:05PM
My kit did not come with any jumpers unfortunately. They go on the pins under the stepper drive correct. Well some of them from what I can tell.
February 16, 2015 12:38PM
They should have been in the anti-static bag with the RAMPS board. Email Dan (dan@folgertech.com) and let him know you didn't get any... maybe he can help??

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

February 16, 2015 12:59PM
I sent him an email hopefully it can be worked out. Thanks again everyone for the help.
February 17, 2015 04:15PM
So i have another problem. I got some jumpers. They work until i put the stepper motor on the extruder then it disconnects from my computer. Also i can only move my motors one way if i try to move them the other way it says they have hit an endstop. Im hoping to have this working by today.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login