Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Test cube failure need help please!

Posted by OO DURKE OO 
Test cube failure need help please!
February 10, 2015 12:49PM
So my heater decouples which is on a seperate post here. But when it does print and heat fine this is what I get. It starts off pushing a cube out a little sloppy but overall the shape is fine. Then about half way up it catches on the ABS it is laying out and begins to swirl it around as seen in the pic.

I am not sure what is going on here.

I have my ABS set to 240 C and my bed set to 85 C it is sticking fine using kaplon tape and a little glue stick on my bed but as you can see half way up it screws up.

my feed rate for filament is 435 I am using the repetier firmware with a Aurora Prusa I3 kit. It has a z605 board.

What can I do?

Re: Test cube failure need help please!
February 10, 2015 12:51PM
it is a 0.5 MM nozzle
February 10, 2015 02:57PM
Have you tried with 230/80 deg C? Looks like the cube is just a melted ABS, except the first layers.

- nerdegutta
February 10, 2015 02:59PM
well I have bigger issues at the moment. I cant even heat the bed or block. I keep getting a heater decoupled error message? Any thoughts?
February 10, 2015 03:04PM
Disconnect all, check wires, re-connect one wire at a time, restart software. Maybe try another heater, if you have a spare...

- nerdegutta
February 10, 2015 03:05PM
nerdegutta
Disconnect all, check wires, re-connect one wire at a time, restart software. Maybe try another heater, if you have a spare...

- nerdegutta

sadly no spares. The wiring is correct. The only thing I changed was soldering a thermistor onto the wires for the heater block and then inserting that into the heater block. anything else I can try?
February 10, 2015 03:19PM
Do you have a solderblob or a short ciruit?

- nerdegutta
February 10, 2015 03:21PM
there was a solder blob on one wire towards the top. I dont solder often I thought since it was only on the wire it wouldnt affect anything. Could that be causing a short? it is on the wire leading back to the MB. it is not near the soldered section that connects that wire to the thermistor but rather above it slightly.
February 10, 2015 03:21PM
Measure the resistance of the thermistor across the leads connecting it to the controller. I think it should be around 100K but you should check your thermistor documentation. If it is not what it is supposed to be then find out why!
February 10, 2015 03:24PM
Wisar
Measure the resistance of the thermistor across the leads connecting it to the controller. I think it should be around 100K but you should check your thermistor documentation. If it is not what it is supposed to be then find out why!

I dont have anything to measure that with. I bought these

[www.amazon.com]

I soldered that into the wires that were going to the old thermistor. Does a thermistor have a positive and negative terminal? I just wired one end to red the other to black.
February 11, 2015 01:56AM
Anyone with a RepRap printer should probably have a Volt Ohm meter. You can get them cheap:

Cheap Meter

A Thermistor is basically a heat sensitive resistor and has no polarity. But it could be defective or you could have a short. Hence the meter.

Wisar
February 11, 2015 01:36PM
Wisar
Anyone with a RepRap printer should probably have a Volt Ohm meter. You can get them cheap:

Cheap Meter

A Thermistor is basically a heat sensitive resistor and has no polarity. But it could be defective or you could have a short. Hence the meter.

Wisar

could be this printer has caused me way to many issues. It was horrible from the start. So I bought a new CTC printer to replace it. that one is enclosed. Thanks for the help guys but after 2 weeks of nothing but issues and not even being able to have 1 successful print I've given up on this printer.

Maybe it was just a bad kit to begin with as its a chinese knock off I3.
February 12, 2015 12:41PM
I didn't think you could solder thermistors as the heat would crack the glass. Obviously that doesn't make sense as we use them to measure heat, but why else would they come with the clamped ferules?

I was also wondering if the problem might be with the calibration of your Z steps per mm. Perhaps it was just slightly to small and it took half the print for the issue to compound itself enough to start dragging through the previous layer.

Anyway, sorry you encountered so many issues with your printer. I know how that goes. Hopefully you will come back to it someday and get it working correctly.
February 12, 2015 12:51PM
you dont use a clamped ferule on a thermistor. It comes with the glass bead containing the thermistor and 2 wires in teflon coating to solder into the wiring. However your printer may have a different setup. I can't say for sure without seeing it. But that is how mine is setup.
February 12, 2015 12:53PM
Kurzaa
I didn't think you could solder thermistors as the heat would crack the glass. Obviously that doesn't make sense as we use them to measure heat, but why else would they come with the clamped ferules?

I was also wondering if the problem might be with the calibration of your Z steps per mm. Perhaps it was just slightly to small and it took half the print for the issue to compound itself enough to start dragging through the previous layer.

Anyway, sorry you encountered so many issues with your printer. I know how that goes. Hopefully you will come back to it someday and get it working correctly.

as for z steps it was set to 80 they started at 100 but I found I was getting too many gaps with the 100 setting.

I bought a CTC printer to replace this one. ultimately I think it will just be better it has an enclosure with buttons built in all I have to do is mount the print head. I just think it will be better over all even for print quality.
February 12, 2015 02:36PM
Probably a good decision to go with an off the shelf enclosed printer. You have to be wiling and interested in a certain amount of rolled-up sleeves pain to own a RepRap printer. I have mine working largely fine and still have days when I wish for a Replicator II!
February 12, 2015 02:46PM
Yea I bought this one. It's a CTC makerbot knock off but the youtube videos of it make it seem a lot more reliable and easier to use. The rep rap did teach me a lot and I am thankful for that I'm just kind of ticked off the company I got it from didn't make a quality kit. So it had tons of issues with the firmware I had to get worked out.

[www.ebay.com]
February 13, 2015 01:04AM
It will be interesting to hear your experience with the CTC printer. It is an amazing, though expected statement about the evolution of the technology that you can now get an assembled dual extruder reasonable print volume printer for less than 500 dollars (or 400 pounds here in the UK).
February 13, 2015 05:50PM
Wisar
It will be interesting to hear your experience with the CTC printer. It is an amazing, though expected statement about the evolution of the technology that you can now get an assembled dual extruder reasonable print volume printer for less than 500 dollars (or 400 pounds here in the UK).

just did a test cube and it worked wonderfully! no calibration needed! just leveled the bed using its program and bang wonders in plastic!

February 15, 2015 02:02AM
Any change that you could try to print this?

Bridges Torture Test

It is causing my printer fits! I would be interested to see how the CTC handles it out of the box!

Wisar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 02:16AM by Wisar.
February 15, 2015 01:16PM
Wisar

Bridges Torture Test

It is causing my printer fits! I would be interested to see how the CTC handles it out of the box!

Wisar

I will try it. I knocked some fan blades off my cooling fan by accident on it so I have to glue them back on then I can give it a run.
February 15, 2015 04:27PM
Wisar

Bridges Torture Test

Wisar

DONE! Came out really nice first try. I used supports to print it they just cracked off. its prefectly level and smooth.

February 15, 2015 09:26PM
Umm.... The whole point of a bridge test is to see how it prints WITHOUT support.
February 15, 2015 09:45PM
tmorris9
Umm.... The whole point of a bridge test is to see how it prints WITHOUT support.

Then I can guarantee your print will fail each time. The whole point of the support feature is to build structures like this then break them away. My printer handled that fine and im happy with it. It probably would work without supports but I dont care to print it that way. I would try printing yours with support if it prints that way and looks good your printer is calibrated fine and as it should be.
February 16, 2015 03:01AM
Could you reprint it without supports? smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
February 16, 2015 06:25AM
It is important to be able to print bridges without supports. An example is a case where there are ports or windows cut through the case walls and the walls are thin. I have a number of models like this and supports become a hassle. Bridges are (IMHO) one of the hardest things for a printer to do.
February 16, 2015 10:20PM
It is not always practical to print support especially on intricate shapes with inside areas. The bridge test is made to see how well your printer can handle it. I have printed it in the past without support and it did NOT fail. Yes, the first bridge layer is a little stringy but overall the structure printed quite well without support.

So take the training wheels off and print it without support.
March 12, 2015 03:00PM
Hey sorry it took so long to post back I haven't had much chance to print anything lately.

So it works fine with no raft or supports. I had 1 thread that didnt make it all the way across because it snapped but other than that it printed level all the way across.

I am confident if I were to print another it would come out perfect.

Here is the pics totally uncalibrated CTC print and no mods.

March 12, 2015 04:01PM
Looks good
March 12, 2015 04:12PM
it didn't come out badly. If that one strand would have just connected it would have been perfect. Not much I can do to correct an issue like that
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login