Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maple Syrup and Water

Posted by RizzoTheSmall 
Maple Syrup and Water
February 09, 2015 05:53AM
So I discovered this while washing some plates. Maple syrup creates a hard but tacky layer on the glazed surface of the plate, which is just what I'm looking for from hair sprays etc.

I mixed some up with water, abt 30% syrup, and rubbed some onto the bed with a kitchen towel while it was heating.

This gave me great results and is comparatively inexpensive to hair spray. I have tried sugar water before but couldn't get a good concentration to provide a solid but tacky surface.

I would be interested to hear if anybody else has come across this method, or perhaps if you could try it yourselves and let me know your thoughts on it.

Cheers,
Rizzo.
Re: Maple Syrup and Water
February 09, 2015 08:19AM
For me these kinds of solutions are not so handy, as syrup quality varies greatly per region. I still prefer just kapton tape for both PLA and ABS. Btw, PETG also sticks to it very well.

I have been printing on the same piece of Kapton for about 6 months now, and it's mindboggling why people are still looking for alternatives. The biggest problem is consistency of the material, for maple syrup has differences in it's recipe depending on the manufacturer you buy it from. In the end a roll of Kapton was bought for 20 euros, but I have been printing with it for more than 2 years now, and besides that, I have only used up 2 meters of the 20 meters that are on the roll, so that would probably mean that I can print around 10-20 years with just one roll of Kapton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 08:19AM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
February 09, 2015 09:33AM
Ohmarinus
For me these kinds of solutions are not so handy, as syrup quality varies greatly per region. I still prefer just kapton tape for both PLA and ABS. Btw, PETG also sticks to it very well.

For me, printing PLA smells like pancakes. Adding some maple syrup jut sweetens the smell. smiling smiley

Seriously though, everyone has their own preferred bed adhesion method. I wish that I remembered what the recipe was for the last batch of ABS juice that I made, since I need a chisel to get the parts off of the cold glass. My attempts at printing ABS on kapton tape ended with warped parts that peeled off of the bed mid-print.....
February 12, 2015 01:28AM
vreihen
I wish that I remembered what the recipe was for the last batch of ABS juice that I made, since I need a chisel to get the parts off of the cold glass.
I know what you mean. Had issues getting the roll of ABS that came with my kit to stick well. Tried grinding some texture to the glass and worked perfectly. Got some ABS from a different supplier and you can see below how well it held onto the glass O.o. Trying the same thing with a new piece of glass and it's like getting oil to stick to water.
Attachments:
open | download - r-IMAG0577.jpg (98.8 KB)
February 12, 2015 11:52AM
I, too, like kapton tape. My print bed is not easily removable from the printer, so the idea of putting sticky stuff like hairspray, glue sticks, and maple syrup on it bothers me.
February 13, 2015 02:41PM
I use insulation tape for my bed, which works really well. I did attempt sugar water, but washing it off was a massive pain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login