Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bad glass or bad idea?

Posted by Ryan_M 
Bad glass or bad idea?
February 06, 2015 01:25AM
So I'm a newb. I was having issues getting ABS (a free spool that came with my kit) to stick to the glass on the heated bed. I was using ABS juice. It wasn't bad but not great. I roughed up the glass a bit with #320 SiC grit to give the part a little extra grab - I grind telescope optics so the stuff to do this was handy. Worked perfect! Was printing 245°C HE / 115°C HB for first layer then 240°C/110°C after that. FWIW there were other issues that made me suspect that it wasn't great filament.

I got some new filament from a local supplier that I'd only read good things about. I started printing with the same settings as above. After a dozen or so layers I noticed some strings in the print so I dropped the extruder temp to 235°C and that solved the problem. As you can see in the picture it grabbed onto the glass big time. The glass it still stuck to the parts and I can't get it off. This happened after the print was done and everything was cooling down. I'm going to assume this is a freak thing that doesn't happen often bud I'm wondering if it might have been just a bad piece of glass. I just did a print on a new piece of glass (with the lower ABS temps) and am getting the edges lifting. So I'm wondering if I rough up this glass again if I should expect the same thing to happen. Maybe try a finer grit?
Attachments:
open | download - r-IMAG0577.jpg (98.8 KB)
Re: Bad glass or bad idea?
February 06, 2015 04:56AM
Try putting the glass+print in the freezer for half an hour.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 13, 2015 01:37AM
Just following up in case someone else comes across this thread that had the same idea as me. Conclusion is it was a bad idea. I tried it again with a new piece of glass and had a few bits of glass let go. I'd read that silicon carbide grit leaves micro subsurface fractures and that fits with whats happening here. I doubt a tougher glass like borosilicate would give any better results. Quartz/fused silica might, but I'm not going to guinea pig a piece of my quartz to test that theory! I tried using aluminum oxide grit that is supposed to be gentler on the glass and I didn't get any missing bits of glass, but it didn't help adhesion over plain float glass either so a waste of time.

Oh well. At least I learned something so it wasn't a total waste.... except the $4.50 in materials.
February 13, 2015 11:24PM
You definitely do not want to sand your glass. I've had glass chip out just from single fine scratch on the surface.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login