Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Outside of print is pinched

Posted by navyblueboss 
Outside of print is pinched
January 30, 2015 11:11AM
I dont know how to explane it very well so I attached a picture. You can see how the print goes from normall size layers to smaller/narrow layers and back to normal size layers. This only happens in the first centimeter, after that its all normal. (even on very tall prints). This is not something that happens sometimes or only at some spots, it happens all the time and arround the whole print (so lets say layers 4-30 are smaller, before 4 and after 30 everything is back to normal.

The thing is that ive tried so many settings, it looks insolveble to me now.. I just dont get it. It's so illogical if i think about it: When a print starts good but end up undersized, ill get it. If it starts undersized but end up good, ill get it to. But this is just wierd..
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20150130_162821.jpg (574 KB)
Re: Outside of print is pinched
January 30, 2015 11:18AM
It's called Elephant Foot.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 30, 2015 05:12PM
To be honest, I don't think it's elephant foot. Elephant foot means that the base is wider. In the opening post it's clearly not the case. The base is as wide as the top layer.

However, I'm not sure what could cause this..

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
January 31, 2015 04:32AM
I saw the Elephant foot but its not the same, just like Ohmarinus said. There are just a few layers which are smaller than they should be, the first layer is just right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2015 04:33AM by navyblueboss.
January 31, 2015 05:21AM
I am guessing you are printing ABS and you have your heated bed at or above 100c ? This is the cause and it will normally be on the side of the part where the heater block of the hotend is. Turn your bed to 90c and it should go away. If you are not printing ABS or not using 100c or above then how about posting more info.
January 31, 2015 09:40AM
No this was a PLA print. Printed at 200c and with bed at 70c. After the first layer it goes of till it reaches 50c.

It happens all over the print, not a specified area.
January 31, 2015 02:11PM
What's the ambient temperature in the room you are printing in? If its too cold that may be why.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login