Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ok New Problem With Heating.

Posted by revbare 
Ok New Problem With Heating.
January 29, 2015 04:33PM
ok i got this thing trying to print a test at first i tried pla but its jammed so i cleaned out the jam and decided to try abs. the lcd readout says the print bed is at 50 deg C but my infrared thermometer says its at 35-40 deg C. and the nozzle is suppose to be 200 deg C or so but infrared thermometer says its at 30 - 40 deg C. and i just read for abs i should have the nozzle set to about 230C so i get that. but should my thermometer readings be so far off?
Re: Ok New Problem With Heating.
January 29, 2015 04:36PM
You could boil some water and see if the thermometer reads around 100C...

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
January 29, 2015 04:57PM
Inferred thermometers are horrible at reading these temps.
I tried the same thing and got out my thermistor on my multimeter and the readings were a LOT closer.
January 29, 2015 07:49PM
I've found the infrared type work OK on the heat bed, but terrible on the hot-end for some reason.
The heat bed will show 50 when pronterface thinks it's 50, but the hot-end will show around 45 when it's melting PLA.
To see in an infrared thermometer is reading higher temps try it on an iron - that should be around 220C

Steve
January 31, 2015 04:07AM
The red laser that you see does not line up with the infrared laser that reads the temp at close range. Also shiney surfaces don't read right. To get a closer to actual reading on the hotend try rotating the thermometer sideways and see if that helps.
January 31, 2015 05:26AM
Wrong tool for the job, it averages the temp of everything in it's cone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login