Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder keeps chewing filament at certain step

Posted by strk 
Extruder keeps chewing filament at certain step
January 15, 2015 03:12AM
My 3d printer's extruder keeps chewing up the filament when it gets to a certain step of the part that it is printing. It's to the point now that I have to stop the print and take a part the extuder and clean out the hobbed bolt then reassemble it again just to try and re-print the same part. Then when I try to reprint the same part again it stops extruding and starts to chew into the filament once again. Some of the things I've tried in order to fix this is to increase the heat of the extruder. I did the first 3 prints at 215c and then 218c for the last two prints which somewhat help but not that much. Also I made sure that Extruder Idler Block is nice and tight against the filament.

So my question is what could be causing the filament to start getting chewed up when it gets to a certain part of the print?

Printer INFO:

Makerfarm Prusa i3
J head
3 mm filament ABS
Using Slic3r 1.1.6

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2015 02:03PM by strk.
Re: Extruder keeps chewing filament at certain step
January 15, 2015 03:22PM
The temperature seems too low for ABS; standard temp is about 230C.

The slight increase shown in the image shows a slight improvement, no? Increase the temp to 230C and see if it helps.
January 16, 2015 05:12PM
Didn't really help but I might think it may be the filament. I tried another roll of filament that I had and it works just fine.
January 16, 2015 05:25PM
Both your temps are VERY low.
Bump up the hot end to about 230c and the bed to 110c for ABS. Also it looks like your springs are a little too tight and biting deep into the filament.
January 19, 2015 05:49PM
Floyd
Both your temps are VERY low.
Bump up the hot end to about 230c and the bed to 110c for ABS. Also it looks like your springs are a little too tight and biting deep into the filament.

still the same issue stops that that exact same part. And my J head can only handle up to 235c.
February 10, 2015 12:41PM
I dunno if a J-head can really hit high enough temps for ABS. It should be able to do 220C at least, though, so that's worth a shot.
February 10, 2015 02:38PM
I have an Aurora Z605 and the JHead will get up to 250. This kind of looks like the problem I am trying to chase down. I keep having holes and thin spots in my surface. My extruder also "thunks" occasionally while trying to extrude. Problem is I have not found how to adjust my extrustion on mine. Mine is trying to put out 126mm when you ask for 100mm and is getting back pressure from the the hotend. I managed to get a better print if I slowed down the flows and movements, but it is yet to be perfect.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login