Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA is wrapping in overhangs

Posted by topias5 
PLA is wrapping in overhangs
January 08, 2015 10:05AM
I have a major issue of PLA wrapping with parts where some overhang printing is needed. The worst case is with circle shaped holes which are located in XZ or YZ plane. The first half of circle is going well but when the circle sides are coming closer together PLA is wrapping in the edge and the printing surface is not even any more and printer will often miss some steps when nozzle hits on it during it's travelling over it. I believe wrapping is caused by thermal shrinking when pla temperature is going down. Problems started when diameter of circle is more than 15mm and this will happening even I switch cooling fan off.

Have you had problems with circle holes?
Are you using supports, will it help?
Is it common to do travel command without lifting Z-axle?
Should I use some heater instead of cooling fan in the case of circle holes? smiling smiley

I'm using Huxley where X and Y-axles are powered by NEMA14 motors so maybe with NEMA17 this will not be as big issue as it's now. I'm slicing my models with Cura.
Re: PLA is wrapping in overhangs
January 08, 2015 11:56AM
PLA warping is often an issue of material quality itself, so you may want to buy some high-quality PLA and see if it helps. You also need your cooling fan to be turned on all the time with PLA.
January 08, 2015 04:00PM
If the material fan (blows onto the PLA) is on full (100%) try turning it down to prevent the upward shrinkage like to 50-60%
January 09, 2015 12:26PM
Could be over extruding also...temp too high...also make sure you are printing inside --->out verse outside / in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login