Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder stopped working.......

Posted by starmind001 
Extruder stopped working.......
December 24, 2014 05:45PM
I haven't used my 3d printer for about a month and when I tried it a few weeks ago, I had to buy new filament. The old filament caused a jam and blockage in the nozzle was breaking into bits and all that jazz. When I had the new filament, I tried again and noticed why I had a jam. The ceramic heater had went out due to the long prints. I replaced the heater and thermistor(just being safe) I was able to print again. Printed a few long prints two weekends ago and all was fine with the prints. Tried it last weekend after getting some new filament and I had a problem.

This problem is kinda weird for me as I think I did a booboo. I printed one print noticed I should put a new roll on before I did another print. Simple enough or so I thought. With the printer still on but not printing I changed the filament. Turned the big gear by hand to feed the nozzle with the new filament and this is where the booboo comes in. I left the room to go do a honey do and when I came back I started a new print. When the print started it began as normal but I saw that the extruder had stopped extruding. I thought that's weird. I checked the stepstick and noticed that it looked like I had done a booboo. By moving the extruder by hand I had caused feedback and shorted out the stepstick. So lucky for me I bought some spares. i replaced the stepstick and I got the same result. I thought well maybe I just have a bad stepstick. It happens. I put in another, same result.

Now I was a little flustered at this point. I thought if I have two bad stepsticks, I will quickly just swap the x axis stepstick with one of the new ones and put the x axis one in for the extruder. I again got the same result.

My question is do I now have a bad extruder motor based on what you see in the video?
Video
Re: Extruder stopped working.......
December 25, 2014 07:24AM
Hello, It's really weird. It seems the small and big gear doesn't turn,right?
Did you check your extruder wires order connecting to the controller port?

May be you can try a direct extruding...

Everything of 3D printer. www.3dminions.com
[www.facebook.com]
December 25, 2014 11:52AM
Remeber your nozzle has to be fully up to temp at least above 180 for the extruder motor to turn on. I am sure you checked that, but has caused me grief way to many times to admit. Thermo resister popped out while I was working on the nozzle and had not noticed it.
December 25, 2014 04:17PM
Did you check your extruder wires order connecting to the controller port?
yes that was the first thing I did. I checked the wires from port to port. However since the extruder was working before I changed the filament, I dont think that was a problem to begin with.

Remeber your nozzle has to be fully up to temp at least above 180 for the extruder motor to turn on. I am sure you checked that, but has caused me grief way to many times to admit. Thermo resister popped out while I was working on the nozzle and had not noticed it.
Nozzle is at 185 for my print, however after checking the thermistor, I noticed it was popped almost all the way out. Resecured the thermistor back into place and no dice.

Update:
I hooked the extruder up to the z axis and the extruder motor worked fine. Could the extruder port be bad on the ramps board?
December 25, 2014 06:22PM
New update on this. I switched the extruder from E0 to E1 all started working again. For whatever reason the arduino just quit. I seprated the ramps from the arduino and nothing. Ramps seems to be fine, but enough playing around with it. I just bought a new ramps and arduino for fairly cheap to fix my problem. I know all motors work, so by replacing the brain all should go back to normal. I will post back after I assemble it back together.
February 28, 2015 02:20PM
It has been awhile since I have been able to fix this, but I am still having problems. I bought new ramps and arduino, plugged them in and right off the bat I had blue smoke from the voltage regulator. Today I have had the time to repair both arduinos with the same problem. I just tried them both again and for whatever reason they will not work.
My guess is power supply has gone bad and no longer giving the 12v to power up the ramps to give the arduino 5v or something is still wrong between the ramps and arduino.

Here is what I have done:
1) Replaced 5v regulator on arduino mega
2) Arduino mega works when connected via usb to computer(also reflashed code)
3) Connected ramps and arduino to power supply
4) Turned it on
5) Power supply on, arduino no power

What do I need to do now, because I miss my 3d printer?. Been down 2 months now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login