Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruded problem newbie

Posted by RadarEMT 
Extruded problem newbie
December 20, 2014 02:53PM
I have acquired a Prussia I3 kitPartially built by the previous owner. I believe the calibration has gone well but the extruded keeps get Clogging. I get the first layer or two but then the extruded stops extruding plastic. My understanding Is that the extruded is A mk7. It does not have a plunger so no adjustments that I am aware of. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Extruded problem newbie
December 20, 2014 09:33PM
More info. What material, at what temperature, at what speed, etc.
December 21, 2014 02:06PM
PLA at ios mo om 185 to 195
. E-step et to 550 an 600
December 21, 2014 03:14PM
Lets try this again on a computer instead of an IPAD. I have tried 185, 190, and 195 for temps with PLA. If by speed you mean esteps, I tried a 400, 600, and 550. When I cu and insert the PLA and just try extruding 100mm of PLA, it works but does not seem to extrude consistantly. When I try to print a test 20mm cube, if I am lucky I might get a couple of layers before it stops extruding.

This MK7 does not have any adjustment for tension so I am not sure what to try next. Any assistance would be appreciaited.

I am using slic3r and Pronterface software. I am still not sure which settings are being used during the print, the Fillament settings from Slic3r or the Prnterfice settings.

Thanks
December 21, 2014 04:46PM
If the extruder is clogging, that's not related to steps per mm, although temperature can have something to do with it.

What hot end do you have? What extruder? (is it this one??)

Do you have retraction switched on in the slicing settings?

Does the Extruder stepper motor get hot during printing?

How long does it take before it clogs?

What electronics board are you using? Ramps? Something else?

If it is a board with stepper drivers, do you know what voltage the extruder driver is putting out?

Slic3r and pronterface have some weird behaviours where pronterface doesn't always honour the settings set in Slic3r. You can set the settings in slic3r and then have slic3r export the gcode, and then run that via pronterface. This will help eliminate any questions about what whether the two are talking properly. Generally speaking you at least have to quit Pronterface before it picks up the new slic3r settings.

Can you get the nozzle up to temperature and then use Pronterface just to extrude into free air? This will help debug basic problems.
December 21, 2014 08:26PM
If the extruder is clogging, that's not related to steps per mm, although temperature can have something to do with it.

What hot end do you have? What extruder? (is it this one??)

Looks like the same hot end except mine does not have insulation around it It is an MK7 but I have seen videos that show a plunger that can be adjusted with washers as shims. Mine does not have a plunger, just a pully.

Do you have retraction switched on in the slicing settings?

Not sure which setting you are referring to. I found a setting for "Only retract when crossing perimeteres" which is chekced.

Does the Extruder stepper motor get hot during printing?

Not sure, will check.

How long does it take before it clogs?

Many time it doesn't even get started. I have managed to get through about two levels before it stops extruding.

What electronics board are you using? Ramps? Something else?

Ramps 1.4

If it is a board with stepper drivers, do you know what voltage the extruder driver is putting out?

Not sure about this. Where would I look?

Slic3r and pronterface have some weird behaviours where pronterface doesn't always honour the settings set in Slic3r. You can set the settings in slic3r and then have slic3r export the gcode, and then run that via pronterface. This will help eliminate any questions about what whether the two are talking properly. Generally speaking you at least have to quit Pronterface before it picks up the new slic3r settings.

I have been changing the settings in Slic3r and exporting the g-code. I then open the gcode file in Pronterface and attempt to print.

Can you get the nozzle up to temperature and then use Pronterface just to extrude into free air? This will help debug basic problems.

It is usually after I manually extrude a couple of hundred mm before I kick off the print job that lets me get a row or two out.

I do appreciate the assistance. This is my first effort with a steep learning curve. Is ther a sight I can refer to to abtain basic understanding of all of the setting Ineed to adjust?

Thanks
December 29, 2014 07:44AM
Does the filament break in the hot end??
I had a similar problem where I could print a layer or two and then there would be no extrusion at all.
The reason was high feed rate values!!
This can break the filament in the hit end and clog it at times!!
Reduce the feed rate values significantly in marlin and give it a try!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login