Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gaps in Infill

Posted by mikh3x4 
Gaps in Infill
December 14, 2014 09:50AM
Hello, recently switched to PLA after printing a while with ABS.
I keep getting gaps in my infill regardless of my esteps, extrusion multiplier, temperature, fan, no fan. The measured perimeter width and the theoretical values agree, so I'm leaning towards blaming this on Slic3r, but the same settings worked wonders for ABS. Regardless I treid changing them and still haven't managed to eliminated the problem. I've attached a picture. Thank you all in advance

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2014 09:54AM by mikh3x4.
Re: Gaps in Infill
December 14, 2014 05:17PM
Have you measured the actual filament and put that into slic3r? don't assume it's the size you bought as most is always a little smaller and I even measure every roll I get now. And this will make the gaps you are seeing.

Also to high layer size for your nozzle can cause it (but you don't give any info on your machine so it's impossble to tell).
December 15, 2014 02:36AM
Yes I've measured the filament using digital calipers and plugged an average of a couple measurements in. My machine uses 3 mm filament (actually closer to 2.9 mm) and has a 0.4 mm nozzle. I'm printing at 0.3 mm layer height (0.35 first layer) and the extrusion widths at slic3r defaults. Same settings worked for other filaments. This is PLA-D not sure what the D is, the recommended temperature in 195C-225C and in tested the whole range. I heard different filaments might need change esteps but this doesn't seam to be helping. I've also noticed getting much worse general accuracy when printing with this stuff vs ABS despite having a fan blowing air over the top layer. I'm beginning to wonder can all this be caused by the PLA absorbing moisture over time?
December 15, 2014 12:00PM
Ok. Did some more testing:

-The extruder was not clogged everything is good. Hobbled bolt is clean
-Manually inputting extrusion width seams to make the issue less visible but it still is there. On low extrusion width gaps between infill and perimeter are visible
-Spool is turing freely with little resistance

I'll try going back to ABS and seeing if the issue goes away
December 16, 2014 05:54PM
Surprisingly this issue is still visible with ABS, although not on the entire area but in certain spots. Same with SLic3r version 1.2.1 and 1.1.7. Still no solution sad smiley
December 18, 2014 05:28PM
If someone stumbles across this thread later what solved it for me was reducing the extrusion width. It simply seams like my filament didn't like the think width slic3r was automaticly forcing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login