Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shifted layer while printing.

Posted by Fizpok 
Shifted layer while printing.
December 12, 2014 07:20AM
Need help: on a picture ( ) is a detail printed on i2.
At some point, layers moved sideways. If there are few details, the shift happens to all of them, at the same level.
Shifts are random, they do not always happen, and the distance from the platform is different too.

Any idea what it is and what can be done?

Thanks.
Re: Shifted layer while printing.
December 12, 2014 11:38PM
I just had this problem and it was racking my brain until I remember I had the same situation with my extruder skipping. turn up the voltage on your motherboard for that axis and this should go away... answer is simple, the resistance at some point where the extruder tip rubs up against the print the motor doesn't have enough voltage to power through it. Or so I hope... cause I'm just now going through this same problem.

FYI and be careful... it doesn't take much to fix the problem, and it certainly doesn't take much to break your printer (motor or motherboard or both).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2014 11:40PM by gabemedina23.
December 13, 2014 12:57PM
"turn up the voltage on your motherboard for that axis"
Could you please suggest, how to do that?
December 15, 2014 12:51PM
The picture wasn't loading for me. For the description it sounds like your y or x motors could be skipping steps. This can be caused by to high of a mechanical resistance on the axis (read not smooth enough) or something of with the current settings on your drivers. Last time I had it happen to me the motor's were getting too much current. Usually the current going to the motor is adjusted with a small potentiometer on the stepper driver.
February 26, 2015 02:23PM
Another possibility is the hotend has become loose in the extruder body and wobbles during the print. See if it wobbles back and forth or side to side and if it does, tighten both retaining bolts.

I normally print with the fan always on to ensure my PLA extruder body doesn't become too soft from all that heat rising from the hotend. If the extruder gets too warm PLA will warp nd before you know it, the hotend starts wobbling and causing shifted prints.
February 26, 2015 02:29PM
Hi,

I had the same issue, but fixed it by turning the DEFAULT_ACCELERATION Values down.
If putting more juice to the Motors doesn't work, i suggest to try this.
February 26, 2015 03:15PM
Fizpok
"turn up the voltage on your motherboard for that axis"
Could you please suggest, how to do that?

In this video [www.youtube.com] the screw driver is adjusting the power to the motor. Clockwise turns power up. Counter clockwise turns power down. Only adjust the stepper driver for the axis that is skipping.

WARNING! DO NOT short a metal screw driver across the board while power is on. This can cause damage.

If you start hearing a whining sound coming from your motors, you have turned the power up too much. Try to only turn each 1/16th of a turn at a time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login