Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can anyone identify this issue? - loops of filament on corners

Posted by plankton 
Can anyone identify this issue? - loops of filament on corners
December 10, 2014 04:46PM
I'm getting what I can best describe as occasional filaments that don't follow the correct path when the nozzle changes direction, I often see them around the perimeter of holes, but it does seem to be whenever the head changes direction (but only occasionally, not all the time).

I printed the small cog from a Wades extruder this evening (see attached photo) which I think shows the problem reasonably well. This was printed in PLA at 0.3mm layer height (the whole cog is 21mm high), using Slic3r, and Marlin firmware (my printer is a DIY i3, box frame, with RAMPS).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2014 05:11PM by plankton.
Attachments:
open | download - Wades-cog.jpg (490.8 KB)
Re: Can anyone identify this issue? - loops of filament on corners
December 10, 2014 06:22PM
If it's on change of direction, your belts might be a bit loose. It also looks like you're over-extruding a little.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
Re: Can anyone identify this issue? - loops of filament on corners
December 10, 2014 07:51PM
I think I may be onto something.

I've only ever seen it on >= 90 degree direction changes, but it seemed too random for the majority of mechanical causes. So I wondered if it could be due to temperature (the filament not being flexible enough to keep up with the nozzle on sharp direction changes), I just tried another print increasing extrusion temperature by 5 degrees and this time there are much fewer artefacts. I'll do some more testing at different temperatures tomorrow, but I think I'm on the right track.

I've been printing so far at 190 first layer and 185 subsequent layers, it seemed to work so I didn't bother to try different temps until now, and I've never seen this mentioned as a symptom of low temperatures before.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login