Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA First layer crappy no matter what

Posted by fotomas 
PLA First layer crappy no matter what
December 02, 2014 03:23PM
I now have made 11 test prints with different parameters and no real change in the result.

Printer Ormerod 2
Filament 1.75 PLA (Make unknown)

After printing the perimeter and starting to fill the inner of a circle the solid bottom layer turns in to, well see attached images.
Seems like the next pass ruins the previous one.

I have tested the following in Slic3r: (individually):
Extrution multiplier from 0.8 to 1.06
Temp from 175 to 205 (wont stick to the bed ad 175)
Bed Temp 0, 50, 60
Speed 45, 30, 20 mm / sec
First layer height .24 .36 mm
First layer width 50% to .8 mm

I do not know the make of the filament but even if the filament is bad I would expect that I would see SOME change in the result altering the parameters above.
I can print pretty good with a fluorecent Orbi-Tech PLA filament. With that I am tweaking the surface quality and have made spare parts that mounted ok on my printer.

Should I just toss the whole roll of filament or is there hope??

Left print uses a lot of filament, on the right a lot less. This can be seen on the perimeter but still the same bad result when filling the circle.

Re: PLA First layer crappy no matter what
December 02, 2014 05:19PM
Try raising the nozzle of the bed for the first layer a bit. It almost looks like your nozzle is too low and the plastic is squeezing out around the nozzle and accumulating in blobs as a result.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
December 02, 2014 05:19PM
I would check your e steps calibration.
Verify your e motor isn't skipping steps.
I would find a way to verify your hot end and bed tempratures. (Note the included temp probe.)
I reccomend using known good quality filament when breaking in a new printer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2014 05:21PM by appdev007.
December 04, 2014 02:08PM
After testing up to .3 mm higher position on the first layer, with no change I gave up an changed to the filament delivered with the ormerod 2.

No trouble at all and almost top quality. I want to print with my printer, not adjust it ALL the time.

So I will buy new filament of better quality, with good reviews by other reprap users. Its not worth the lower price.

Thanx for the help.
December 05, 2014 05:44PM
sounds like different filament diameter..

Those pictures look like it is far to close. just give it a go, when iv moved my bed around and to lazy to level it because i do not have self leveling..

You can adjust in slic3r the Z height offset..

give that old filament a go and keep on raising untill it looks normal... .rule out this as the problem..

about two years ago I wasted soooo much filament because i thought it was junk... now i can print the worst filament on the market with no issues, providing it doe's not have foreign matter that would cause a jam in my hotend..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login